Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've been reading this board for most of a year and finally bought my Rav 4. Believe it or not I traded in a 260 HP Acura CL Type S for it, and as much as I liked my Acura I don't miss it in driving the Rav4.

Now I am looking for a bicycle hauling solution with the factory roof rack or on a hitch rack. I am thinking of the Yakima or Thule roof racks, but also would consider a hitch-mounted rack. Oh, and I think there is a rack that mounts to the spare tire assembly?

Can I hear your opinions please? One thing is I am short (5'5") so I will have to get a step stool or something if I am going to use a roof rack. And you can scratch the roof if you bump it with the front fork. Or forget and drive into the garage with the bike on top (yeah, I did this in a former car...don't ask...happened to a lot of people I know too). But roofs racks really secure the bicycle good and tight, let you have access to the rear door without hassle, don't stick out the rear end for someone to run into, and I wouldn't have to get a hitch installed.

It would be great if I had a rack that was easy-on, easy off (for the rack itself as well as the bike), but I don't know how realistic that is.

Thanks for your help,

-Rav2005

·
Registered
116 Posts
DO NOT GET THE OEM ROOF RACK ! ! !

I bought one for my RAV and it's actually from a Lexus and they didn't have the decency to even take the Lexus sticker off. ...anyway, it was a huge, bulbus, ugly looking thing. I highly recommend getting one that holds your front forks, and not one that has the arm going up to hold the frame and a wheel well for your front tire to sit in. I'm 6'2" and it wasn't a problem for me stepping in the door with it open, but it might have been with someone shorter, sorry, I can't help there.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: 2005 Roof rack vs hitch rack vs spare-mounted for bicycl

Rav2005 said:
All,

I've been reading this board for most of a year and finally bought my RAV 4. Believe it or not I traded in a 260 HP Acura CL Type S for it, and as much as I liked my Acura I don't miss it in driving the RAV4.

Now I am looking for a bicycle hauling solution with the factory roof rack or on a hitch rack. I am thinking of the Yakima or Thule roof racks, but also would consider a hitch-mounted rack. Oh, and I think there is a rack that mounts to the spare tire assembly?

Can I hear your opinions please? One thing is I am short (5'5") so I will have to get a step stool or something if I am going to use a roof rack. And you can scratch the roof if you bump it with the front fork. Or forget and drive into the garage with the bike on top (yeah, I did this in a former car...don't ask...happened to a lot of people I know too). But roofs racks really secure the bicycle good and tight, let you have access to the rear door without hassle, don't stick out the rear end for someone to run into, and I wouldn't have to get a hitch installed.

It would be great if I had a rack that was easy-on, easy off (for the rack itself as well as the bike), but I don't know how realistic that is.

Thanks for your help,

-Rav2005
Get the tire mount rack, it's the cheapest way to go and the easiest on and off.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you use roof rack anyways i have factory black ones and they served no purpose other than eating me up $149 when the plastic cover and screw got stolen since I bought the car... I'd like to tie something to it ... surf board, mountain bike (like i do any of those) but... seriously how do you use it?

·
Registered
881 Posts
ultima16888 said:
how do you use roof rack anyways i have factory black ones and they served no purpose other than eating me up $149 when the plastic cover and screw got stolen since I bought the car... I'd like to tie something to it ... surf board, mountain bike (like i do any of those) but... seriously how do you use it?
You can buy attachments for those items that bolt to the rack, I think Thule makes some that fit it, but they are expensive. I only have mine for carrying lumber on occasion, I put my bike on the spare tire carrier, anything as small as snow board I would put inside.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See my roof rack in the albums

I have a picture of my THULE ROOF RACK in the "album" area on my black RAV4. You can see the "album" link on the top of the page. I bought the ones for bikes with DISK brakes. I also bought their cross bars because I plan to put a lugguage rack on top too. See if you like that. I got it in black and silver colors and my RAV is the same color so it looks like it was made for my car.
I did not want to mess up my trucks looks by mounting it on the back with the tow hitch. There is no other way. Besides, I think it look so KOOOOL !!! Well, at a price.. I paid $430.00 for everything after shopping for RACKS for months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts