Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2005 4WD w 75K mi for about 6 mo. At moderate speeds, it makes clunky noises when front (maybe rear, too) wheels drop into holes, etc. At higher speeds everything seems quiet. It doesn't feel like the suspension is wobbly when this is happening. I haven't yet had the opportunity (schedule and weather) to jack it up and have a look, tug on things, etc. I suspect it needs new shocks in front. Are the stock springs superior to the ones used in most "easy struts"? Anything in particular I should be checking in the front suspension? Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would also check for the swaybar bushings and link-kits first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Per your suggestions, I read up a bit and it did seem likely that the swaybar links and bushings were the culprit. I bought parts and dug into the car this afternoon. I ran into a problem getting the 12mm bolts that hold the bushings out. One is rusty and rounded off enough that both 6 and 12 point wrenches just spin around it. (All the others seem like they'll yield with enough sweat and PB Blaster.) Looking around on the internet I found Irwin Bolt Grip sockets that are supposedly for exactly this kind of problem. Can someone offer a review? It's not a big investment, but if it's useless why bother?

PS - when I put it all back together, the original clunking was noticeably reduced. I'm barking up the right tree apparently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts