Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2005 Toyota Rav4 All Terrain Tires

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mistermike 
#1 ·
Hello all, Im fairly new to the RAV4 world and would like to hear your opinions.
I recently purchased a 2005 RAV4 AWD with original rims and all season tires (235/60R/16).
I need to get new tires as my current ones are near the end so I thought why not get a set of all terrain tires that look a little more aggressive.
Im wondering what tire sizes I can get away with on a factory 16 inch rims, something semi aggressive but that wont ruin drivability or stress the powertrain too much.
Any help/advice is appreciated...

#2 · (Edited)
There is so much choice... your budget is the limit! 215/70/16 is the other original tire size for our RAV4. The tallest you can go is 225/75/16.... but 235/70/16 would be a good choice also.

#4 ·
. . . something semi aggressive but that wont ruin drivability or stress the powertrain too much.
Understand your request is a bit of a paradox: with no way to mechanically alter the gear leverage multiplier from the drivetrain, everything you do to add mass will cause a corresponding impact to drivability.

The question may be, how much impact are you willing to tolerate? An implied question may be what your expected use for this RAV will be?

As a technique only, mine is to modify the suspension for ride height and comfort, then focus on rubber compound and tread pattern for the tires.

But like Commando said, lots of choices, there's a suitable tire for everything.

#5 ·
So I put BFG KO2 in size 215/70/16 on my 2001, a few observations so far, even the 215 profile looks great with those beastly knobs, seem quite durable as tested on some fairly rutted/rocky FS roads.

MPG hit: The best mpg has been under 27, I think on highways with less stopping it will be a tab bit better. Sometimes I wonder what would a set of "QUITE" All Season will give (roof rack cross bars and rears seats in storage to maximize mpg)

The above does not bother me too much except: I hate the road noise it makes at 35-40 mph, initially it made me think that one of the wheel bearing was the issue but several things made me rule that out. First the noise appeared after Hankooks were replaced with the used BFGs I picked-up on CL, I also did the 12 and 6'O clock play test by lifting the Front and Back ends and they are rock solid, no metal/metal bearing noise when rotating the wheel by hand, lastly the stupid sounds has not changed a bit in 3k miles I have drive on them so far.

#6 ·
The KO2 is neither quiet nor light. It's a thoroughbred of an offroad tire meant to provide maximum traction and puncture resistance. It provides ample amounts of the latter.

I think your wise to get the 215/70, the KO2 should give you great all weather traction in that size and not compromise what little driving performance the RAV already had.

If you find that 6.7" of ground clearance just won't cut it, you can always install OME springs and larger tires later.

Oh, and you have the 4WD version of Toyota's RAV4 😉
The AWD nomenclature is reserved for the 2006-present mall-crawlers.

#7 ·
I decided on going with the Cooper AT3 4s in 235/70/16. It’s been almost a year now with about 7k miles on them. I’ve been on trails that had Jeeps looking at me like I was insane LOL. Sharp rocks, steep loose sand and dirt hills, ruts, snow. I’ve put these tires through a lot and I am thoroughly impressed (even more impressed with our Ravs 4WD performance). If you’re looking for something that doesn’t look too aggressive yet has great performance, I highly suggest these tires. That being said, I don’t have the ultimate sidewall protection like the KO2, but I also saved 500 dollars going with the Coopers for a set of 5 and I haven’t run in to any punctures yet ::knock on wood::

When on desert trails, I usually air down to around 23psi so the ride is a lot smoother on the wash board sections and better footprint over the sharp rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.