Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into an issue with my 2005 RAV4. I pulled the battery and it tested good and charged 100%. When I put it back in and got it started, it idled and ran fine. As soon as I put it in drive, i got about 10 feet before it died and wouldn't start again.
I've read about the throttle body, the MAF, and IACV, as well as a few other things to try, but haven't had the chance yet. (It's parked in a parking lot in downtown Indianapolis where I work, and I live 30minutes away, so it's been a hassle.)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to at least get it home, where I can work on it more? It could be the fuel pump or something along those lines, but I don't know how to check that. Ideas, suggestions, comments?!?!?!

Thnx for all your help! This Forum is wonderful!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
When you start the engine, do all the dash lights go off (CEL, ABS, etc)? Borrow an OBDII code reader and check to see if it is throwing any codes. Otherwise, check all the fuses/relays to make sure none are blown. To check the fuel pump, turn the key just to accessory mode and see if you hear the pump kick on.

Reactions: petemason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx @Jfeld. The lights don't go off when I start the engine, they stay on. I'm going to find a code reader and see what it's throwing. I'm going to check the fuel pump now, after I put the battery back in! Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I checked the battery and alternator, and both seem to be ok. I was getting around 13 on my volt meter as it was running, and it stayed pretty constant. I turned on the radio and headlights, and it barely dropped any...so i don't think it's either of those. However, before I started it, I turned the key to Accessory mode and did NOT hear the fuel pump kick on. Once I got it started, I let it run for a little while. I revved the engine with it still in Park and it was ok. Once I put it into Drive and revved the engine, the RPM jumped all over the place and it died.

Also, when I turned it to Accessory mode, some of the lights did go off (battery, CEL, oil) but some did not (ABS was one i remember).

So I am starting to think it is the Fuel pump...FML :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmm...maybe check the connection on the negative terminal of the battery in case it is loose...that seems to cause all sorts of problems. And it could be the fuel pump, but I'm at a loss as to why it dies only once it is in drive. If you put it in drive but keep your foot on the brake, does it still die? Or only once you start driving? And did you get a code reader and if so did it pull any codes? Might be the easiest place to start before going after the fuel pump. Could be a sensor somewhere causing the issue.

Reactions: petemason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was just out at it and checked the battery connections, and they're good. I just put the battery back in this morning so i made sure i re-connected it tightly. I had the battery charged and tested, so I at least know that it is good. While I was out there, I also checked all the fuses and relays to make sure nothing had blown, but did not find any that were bad.

It does only die when I put it in drive AND rev the engine. If i leave it running in park, it will stay running. I revved the engine with it in park and it stayed running. I put it in drive and left my foot on the brake, and it didn't die. When I revved the engine (in drive, foot on brake), the RPM jumped over 5K and it died.

I am still not hearing the fuel pump kick on when I turn on the Accessory. It just seems very odd that it will start, and it will run, but when I have it in drive and give it gas, it dies. I'm going to keep messing with it and get a code reader. I'd hate to do all of that work replacing the fuel pump to find out it was a sensor somewhere!!!
@Jfeld, thnx again! I'm glad someone is seeing my non-sense!!!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
My wife's '04 ran horribly after the battery was disconnected. It would NOT idle in Drive for several hours... always has to give it a little gas to keep it from dying.
After a few restart cycles it would be fine. I hated changing or disconnecting the battery in that one. My Tacoma wasn't nearly as bad as that 4.2 was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's weird, i know the battery is fully charged, but I can only get it started with a jump. Taking the battery in & out has been easy on the 2005 RAV4! It's been the easiest thing to remove and check in all of this! I had the battery out for 2days, so I was hoping that'd maybe restart the system or something like that...but NO DICE!

thnx for your help!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
So I checked the battery and alternator, and both seem to be ok. I was getting around 13 on my volt meter as it was running, and it stayed pretty constant. :)
Most automotive batteries are lead acid 12-volt DC (Direct Current). Each of the six cells in a 12-volt DC battery produces 2 to 2.1 volts. When the engine is running, the alternator will typically put out between 13.8 to 14.8 volts

·
Registered
400 Posts
So, it was driving normally before, but then after you removed the battery and re-installed it, this trouble started?

As CB91710 mentioned, and I have seen too, these Rav's seem to idle terribly and even stall when the ECU has had the memory cleared (by disconnecting the battery), before they get the right number of driving cycles to re-learn. This sounds like an ECU thing.

Also, how old is the battery? I agree with 2011rav4 that 13 seems a little low for voltage when the engine is running. But I don't think that would explain the stalling.

Is there anything obstructing the air intake, or the exhaust pipe?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts