Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

541 - 560 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone tried to fit in the Denso Gen2 Ballast in place of the rear headlamp cover for our JDM Headlight?

P/N : 85967-08020 85967-75020 85967-22080 85967-45010 85967-02010 81107-75020 81107-60F10

My Denso ballast at the bottom is now busted. If the above ballast fits or direct replacement of the cover, then its so easy to replace. Saves time from removing the bumber and the headlight for ballast replacement.

Any clue?
any updates on this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Noticed my passenger headlight went out again after 2.5 years with the JDM HID conversion. The first time the headlight went out was 1 year from conversion. I'm gonna check the fuse tomorrow to see if that is the cause. How long should these bulbs last?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Noticed my passenger headlight went out again after 2.5 years with the JDM HID conversion. The first time the headlight went out was 1 year from conversion. I'm gonna check the fuse tomorrow to see if that is the cause. How long should these bulbs last?
Better quality HID lightbulbs should last at least 2-3 years.
I changed mine after 2,5 years when they were still working, just to be sure to have no light troubles during longer holiday trips, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts

The big question is, what brand ballast and bulbs are you using? Oem ballasts and bulbs really are the way to go. You do get what you pay for with HID kits. Also, do you have a harness powering your bulbs, or are you using the factory wiring? I would bet you blew a fuse if you are utilizing the stock wiring.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That happened to me once a couple months after conversion. I installed a high amperage relay harness to supply power directly to the ballasts from the battery, and have not had any problems since. The OEM wiring for each headlight bulb is 10 amps, which is regularly exceeded by HID ballasts during power-up.

Also as far as I know, good HID bulbs do not just suddenly fail. As more tungsten gets into the salts, the light becomes increasingly blue biased. Eventually, the capsules will reach a failure mode where the ballasts will cycle between off and on because of resistance changes over time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Checked at lunch time today and blew another fuse. All of my parts were ordered through the Yahoo JP and Amayama. The bulbs are fine and were ordered through Amazon using the link on the first page of this thread.

What are my options? Would it harm my vehicle in any way if I increase from 10A to 15A or 20A fuse? Will this prevent another blow out in the future?

I'm not that handy when it comes to electronics and wiring so I don't think I can do what SirTampers did to his car and hook it to the battery directly unless step by step directions are provided.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Checked at lunch time today and blew another fuse. All of my parts were ordered through the Yahoo JP and Amayama. The bulbs are fine and were ordered through Amazon using the link on the first page of this thread.

What are my options? Would it harm my vehicle in any way if I increase from 10A to 15A or 20A fuse? Will this prevent another blow out in the future?

I'm not that handy when it comes to electronics and wiring so I don't think I can do what SirTampers did to his car and hook it to the battery directly unless step by step directions are provided.

Thanks
This is what I used. Each end has a tag indicating where it should go. All the harnesses are plug & play. The +12V ring will have to be attached to positive battery terminal. The -ground ring can be mounted either to the negative battery terminal or any bolts on the frame. Removing the plastic cover above the front grill exposes a few potential places to ground the wiring to.

A few other things you will need are:

• Socket wrench
  • Pliers or crescent wrench
  • zip ties to secure wires and relays
  • Washers*
*I was having trouble with one of the lights not getting power. The problem was that the attached wire was preventing one of the grommets from mounting flush. I bought a few stainless steel washers matching the ring size to fix this problem. I have not had any problems since I fixed this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is what I used. Each end has a tag indicating where it should go. All the harnesses are plug & play. The +12V ring will have to be attached to positive battery terminal. The -ground ring can be mounted either to the negative battery terminal or any bolts on the frame. Removing the plastic cover above the front grill exposes a few potential places to ground the wiring to.

A few other things you will need are:

• Socket wrench
  • Pliers or crescent wrench
  • zip ties to secure wires and relays
  • Washers*
*I was having trouble with one of the lights not getting power. The problem was that the attached wire was preventing one of the grommets from mounting flush. I bought a few stainless steel washers matching the ring size to fix this problem. I have not had any problems since I fixed this.
Cool stuff. I'll look into this after my wedding. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
With the guys who are doing the Headlight retrofit, does the factory headlight adjustment screw still works?

I'm planning to use the retrofit kit below. I'm planning not to use the HID bulb in the beginning, but to use the halogen bulb. One step at a time.

Retrofit

·
Registered
893 Posts
With the guys who are doing the Headlight retrofit, does the factory headlight adjustment screw still works?

I'm planning to use the retrofit kit below. I'm planning not to use the HID bulb in the beginning, but to use the halogen bulb. One step at a time.

Retrofit

#1 The factory adjustment will still work.
#2 The kit you listed is crap. I've done many retrofit and if you buy crap that's just what you'll get. I buy all my retrofit parts from the retrofit source.
#3 Kit you listed uses an H1 bulb and your stock bulb is a 9006. They use very different connectors. If you plan to use halogen at first be prepared to do some wiring changes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Rav4system3!

"#3 Kit you listed uses an H1 bulb and your stock bulb is a 9006. They use very different connectors. If you plan to use halogen at first be prepared to do some wiring changes."

What retrofit kit should I look for the 9006 bulb? Or make sure I get the 9006 wire harness?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks Rav4system3!

"#3 Kit you listed uses an H1 bulb and your stock bulb is a 9006. They use very different connectors. If you plan to use halogen at first be prepared to do some wiring changes."

What retrofit kit should I look for the 9006 bulb? Or make sure I get the 9006 wire harness?

Aftermarket projectors only use H1 or D2S bulbs if I remember correctly. Using a halogen bulb in an hid projector will give you less light than you have now.

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
My JDM city lights just went out the other day. I'm thinking about replacing it with a pair of Sylvania T10 168 LED type bulb...https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-White-Bulb-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01BDWLZHU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523204333&sr=8-4&keywords=t10+bulb+sylvania

What are you thoughts on compatibility and performance?
Why does the package says "for off road use only"?...Is it not street legal in the states?
The off road writing is nonsense. They are not head lights or fog lights. Judging by a few reviews they are not bright as the factory bulbs.

The price ($14 US) is insane for 2 small bulbs. The Amazon.ca list them for a more insane price of $22 CAD.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Those T10 Sylvania should work fine for you. I had them in ( Philip version ) about 3 years ago and they work fine. Not very bright but they will do. Color should match up nicely to your HID. I used the OSRAM D4S 5000K HID in the JDM headlight. Powering them with stock wiring with a change of the fuse rating to 15A. Been running like this since putting them in 2012. If the fuse still blow after changing to 15A, then your issue will be with the Ballast. The start-up current draw is too high. Aging capacitor inside the module is the cause as well as possibly water leaks inside the circuit board causing short circuit when the the module power up to ignition voltage (28,000K). If you need help troubleshooting with an extra ballast, let me know, I do have 2 used working spare Denso unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some of the part number for the wiring pigtails are wrong. Anyways, I have a company making them for me much cheaper than Toyota. Let me know if anyone needs some. Probably like $3-4 each not $15

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also any reasons you guys don't make the city light the turn signal? Would make more sense. This way the amber light is on with the headlight and the 194 bulb for the city light can be used as a turn signal.

541 - 560 of 575 Posts