Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

561 - 580 of 581 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Also any reasons you guys don't make the city light the turn signal? Would make more sense. This way the amber light is on with the headlight and the 194 bulb for the city light can be used as a turn signal.
A 194 is not bright enough to be the sole signal bulb.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok, so instead of using the single filament like the the JDM one why don't we make an adapter for the dual filament to fit?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have picked up some 7443 pigtails and they fit right into the headlight. So now I will get full function of the turn signal and running lamp as well as the ECE light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Update. The motor connectors are not available anymore. I think I have found replacements. For the switch, that as well is discontinued but I found one for that as well. Should have a full kit available for sale soon as I did two sets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bump, if anyone is interested I am selling a set of these w/ low beam adjusters. I imported them from Japan. They have worked flawlessly over the past few years. Check the classified section.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bump, if anyone is interested I am selling a set of these w/ low beam adjusters. I imported them from Japan. They have worked flawlessly over the past few years. Check the classified section.
I was too late to buy them, if anyone else is planning to sell a set please let me know.

·
Registered
225 Posts
plenty on ebay.de.

just use google translate and see if anyone will ship it to the states. as I mentioned before, make sure it's for the LHD model.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Checking in...it's been a few years since I've converted mine to JDM. How are your D4S bulb holding out? My Toshiba bulb doesn't seem as bright as other vehicles on the road I've notice. Are there any other brighter bulb alternatives besides Toshiba & Philips D4S? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
plenty on ebay.de.

just use google translate and see if anyone will ship it to the states. as I mentioned before, make sure it's for the LHD model.
The translations are kind of useless, can’t I easily flip the projector shield without disassembling the entire headlight?

just hard for me to trust the poorly translated description for used headlights from another country.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The translations are kind of useless, can’t I easily flip the projector shield without disassembling the entire headlight?

just hard for me to trust the poorly translated description for used headlights from another country.
Found one example. https://www.ebay.de/itm/SCHEINWERFER-H11-HB3-RECHTS-FUR-8113042310-8113042311-2011531152-20B531A52B/292211467520?fits=Model:RAV+4+III&hash=item4409292500:g:wyYAAOSwnMxdfQOQ

Just using this as an example - scrolling down I saw "Passend für Rechts (Beifahrerseite)" Which google translated to "Suitable for right (passenger side)"

now we know if right side is passenger side you this is for a LHD RAV4. So we know this will have the right cut-off.

But I think this one is aftermarket. so YMMV on the quality.

At this point there are not seems to have a lot of good condition used OEM LHD projectors left. It might be easier and cheaper to look into the aftermarket route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found one example. https://www.ebay.de/itm/SCHEINWERFER-H11-HB3-RECHTS-FUR-8113042310-8113042311-2011531152-20B531A52B/292211467520?fits=Model:RAV+4+III&hash=item4409292500:g:wyYAAOSwnMxdfQOQ

Just using this as an example - scrolling down I saw "Passend für Rechts (Beifahrerseite)" Which google translated to "Suitable for right (passenger side)"

now we know if right side is passenger side you this is for a LHD RAV4. So we know this will have the right cut-off.

But I think this one is aftermarket. so YMMV on the quality.

At this point there are not seems to have a lot of good condition used OEM LHD projectors left. It might be easier and cheaper to look into the aftermarket route.
Yeah, that is basically the conclusion I had also since I couldn't seem to find any solid options for OEM, but the aftermarket projector headlights on auction sites look so...., well, aftermarket with double halos and led DRL strips which I don't really want and I figure it is a gamble in quality as to which aftermarket brand to try. For Example:

I did notice some OEM headlights with projectors that look really nice, but appear to be halogen instead of HID, which would be fine I guess. For Example:

My original headlights are 13 years old and the UV damage is extensive so I have to replace them at this point as polishing/refinishing isn't holding up long anymore; they look horrible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any chance the photos from this thread could be restored? I think it's a decent one to preserve considering these cars are still popular and people (like me) are still looking to do this upgrade. Ihave the headlights and most of the connectors and terminals, but still, nice to have a reference for those with poor memories (again, like me!!) :)

thanks !

·
Registered
298 Posts
Any chance the photos from this thread could be restored? I think it's a decent one to preserve considering these cars are still popular and people (like me) are still looking to do this upgrade. Ihave the headlights and most of the connectors and terminals, but still, nice to have a reference for those with poor memories (again, like me!!) :)

thanks !
I second your motion! My dad just bought a 2011 Rav4 and he might convert it over the summer.
Veliksam - Can we have the pictures and link restored? Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello JDM HID headlight converts, my car got totaled after it was rear ended at a red light. I am now in the market for a 2011-2012 Limited V6 in black. I will wait it out until I find the exact specs that I am shopping for. In the meantime, I want to pre-order the JDM headlight because it usually takes a few weeks before I receive the package from Japan.

Q1 - Does anybody have a clean set they want to sell for the model years 09-12 model?
Q2 - Are there 2 different Yahoo auction site because the link through Buyee has very limited ads when I search for aca36 vs the Yahoo auction site through Google? However, I can't order through the direct Yahoo auction site because they don't offer the proxy shipping service that Buyee has. Any idea on how I can get around this?

Buyee.JP

Yahoo Auction (Direct Link)

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
When I was in Taiwan a few years ago, I'd seen RAV4s on the road that had the factory projector with clear lens. There's a site for private sellers to list them, here are two samples, OEM according to the descriptions.
Link 1
Link 2

Taiwan is LHD, so there would be no need to modify anything...hopefully. I had thought about getting a set for my '06, but seeing how these are intended for the '09-'12 models in North America, I didn't want to risk of not getting them to fit. Instead, I did a Mini H1 Retrofit. I don't know if there's any international shipping provided, nor the cost, but it could be another option.

RAV4 appeared in Taiwan as a '08 model, but all of their headlight assembly is the same for NA '09-'12 models. I was a bit confused since NA '06-'08 models had their own design, thinking they would fit. But after searching and checking, my conclusion was they didn't for the NA '06-'08.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I was in Taiwan a few years ago, I'd seen RAV4s on the road that had the factory projector with clear lens. There's a site for private sellers to list them, here are two samples, OEM according to the descriptions.
Link 1
Link 2

The 06-08 had a different assembly for north America model and I assume the same applies to most of the worldwide model.

Also the links for those on sale in Taiwan are aftermarket replacement assembly that I had originally look at. Those are for Halogen bulbs setup. They use the H11 bulb.

The headlight housing that uses HID has the ballast opening wire pass thru opening which in the Taiwan case are molded over. Also, with the Taiwan model, you will have to use H11 - HID bulb instead of a D4S or D2S since the bulb mounting is missing the necessary hardware for "D" series HID bulbs.

I had been trying to locate another set to replace my current set as they are starting to turn yellowish over time. It is 14 years now and it has work very well since it was swapped in. Those used part site are not listing much of parts for the 06-08 model anymore.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think only Japan and NA had the '06-'08 headlight assemblies, whereas the '09-'12 was more worldwide. There are definitely aftermarket replacement headlights everywhere, but if you look through the pictures at the first link, there is a close-up of "Toyota," so there are real secondhand OEMs out there. All of them will be based on halogen bulbs, much like what's out there today. They won't be true D-based HID since they're likely reserved for more luxurious/expensive models and local Japan market.

Getting it from Japan for true HID would be the only option a few years ago, however, since retrofitting is more available and accessible, it's another option. If someone can retrofit themselves, they can save money, otherwise, having it professionally done won't likely be any cheaper than getting the parts from Japan.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not sure if Rakuten allows proxy purchases from your first link and the words are not in English. I agree with casper that the headlights offered at Buyee are not as prevalent compared to a few years ago when I purchased a set. My preference is to stick with JDM HID as I don't fully grasp what the European spec has in HID headlight and I can't really tell from the pictures either as the TYC one's look very similar to HID but they are halogen.

561 - 580 of 581 Posts