Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So im looking at a used 08 4cyl. I know the owner, have driven it and know the vehicle somewhat. The price is right but after reading some horror stories about the engines and oil consumption, i am having second thoughts.

My question is how often do they turn into oil burners? Is it 1 in 10? 1 in 100? 1 in 1000? If i buy it with 100000 miles am i almost guaranteed to be up against this problem in the near future?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
That's a very good question. There is no way to know the actual frequency of oil burning 2.4L engines. Many of our members own or have owned '06-'08 2.4's with no problems. We hear from a lot of 2.4 owners with oil burning problems, but not many people will sign up for a forum like this just to state that they have had NO problems with their RAV4. There must be plenty of them too. If you know the owner and trust them when they say it doesn't use oil, then go for it. You might be able to use the TSB to negotiate a lower price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the owner. Been dating her for 2 years so negotiations will involve a lot of begging. Oh wait! That was sex with my ex-wife. lol.

Vehicle has been trouble free aside from alternator a year ago. My concern is it doesnt burn oil now but its around 100k miles and going forward it could start. If it was adding a quart between oil changes i could deal with that. But if it burns more oil than gas soon, thats gonna be a problem.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
You would know about the oil burning issue by 80,000 miles or maybe even before. So if it is not burning now (and I suppose you could monitor the oil consumption yourself over a month to get an idea), most probably it will not burn later, at least not because of poor piston design.

Usually at around 100,000 miles, you would be burning at least 1 quart every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the mechanic who was doing the safety said he added 1 litre of oil. That was after 6000km (3720 miles). Problem is we don't know exactly where the oil was right after the last change. And adding one jug vs topping it up are two different things. Let's assume it was down a quart after 3700 miles. Run Forest run?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts