Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 Rav4 Limited 4 cyl 4x4. I never got to use the 4x4 in the snow. Just wondering if anyone out there got to use it. How does it do?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figured it would do well. I was questioning whether to get the 4x4 or not and the dealer told me that last year when we got 15 inches of snow they tried to get all the vehicles off the lot they could so it could be cleared off and he said he personally drove a Rav4 4x4 right off the lot and the 2 wheel drives wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I did on a test drive! I Have an 01 4wd and the new one compares pretty good.

I thrashed it around a bit so I could get a good feel for it. Search my posts. I don't think anyone else on here has done that yet except me. Maybe because it wasn't mine. I should do it again and get some pictures for you guys!

Later. M.

P.S. Here is an excerpt from my post on the new test drive. Sometimes a search won't give you what you want.

I did take it off-road with my wife and two kids. They go with us quite a bit on these types of outings and they liked it too. I went to a place with still some snow on the ground and first climbed a hill maybe 30 degrees or so and it had about 8" of snow on it. Was about 150 feet long and climbed it without the 4x4 lock on, no problems. Messed around for a while with some bumps and more snow then tried the 4x4 lock.

We descended the hill and about halfway down I stopped quickly and threw it in reverse. Mashed the throttle and it went back up without any trouble at all. The big difference using this feature is that there is no hesitation as there is without it on. There seems to be a hesitation before the back wheels grab as the front wheels spin quite a bit before you get rear traction. '01 wins for me off-road hands down mostly due to the predictability of the old system. You know its there and don't have to anticipate the awd traction, hoping it will show up when you need it.

I tore up trail pretty good with only 12 miles on it. Didn't damage it but definitely put it through its paces. The V6 will have hill decent for off-road situations. That will be a good option.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove mine in a parking lot with 4 inches of snow and could not believe how well it worked. It had lots of traction everywhere and the car was easy to balance in a turn. I can't wait to add my snow tires to it and see how much better the traction will be. Toyota did a good job with the 4WD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Which brand and size of snow tires are you planning to install? I will have to install snow tires in the fall too and am looking for some guidance on which ones to get.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be using the Michelin X-Ice tires only, I use them on my Camry and they offer fantastic traction. Size-wise , I'm not sure yet, like yourself, I have to research it a bit. I let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is not a lot of size choice available in the Latitude X-Ice tires. It looks like the 235/65/17's are the closest to the stock size. I am hoping that they will come out with a 225/65/17 by fall.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 18 inch sport rims so I'd go for the 235/18's

·
Registered
771 Posts
With X-Ice you may be waiting a while for the 18". The 17" which I believe is the same as the Chrysler 300M only became available this past fall. Takes a while for the aftermarket supply to catch-up with the new vehicles coming out.

Best idea is to start early to look for them (July-Aug) because when the demand hits up north first, your gonna have a hard time getting the supply. I see it every year.

I personally have coopers and find them amazing. Pictures and info in my album. The X-Ice is great too but quite allot of cash. Search the forums, we had a discussion last fall about this very thing.

Here's one!
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1872&highlight=

Later. M.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been shopping around and found that some 16's or 17's on regular black rims would work fine on my RAV. It would save on wear and tear on the sport rims too.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stopped it in a foot of snow with patchy ice underneath, then tried to get going. Well it came out of there like a breeze. :D Didn't feel any slipping.

Happy Travels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts