Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Rav world!

Long term lurker and admirer of the near perfect Rav

I got lucky and bought a one owner 2006 limited V6 (here in Ontario) at a great price

the only complaint is the condition of the original key fobs, all of the buttons are missing and most of it is totally worn out. I went to the dealer today where the car has been serviced it’s whole life and they quoted me a replacement cost of $250 per key plus programming.
so naturally I was wondering if anyone in this community have had success with ordering aftermarket key fobs and letting the dealer program them.

Thanks gang !

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
You might be able to find and uncut remote control case on Ebay and swap the electronic guts and just have a regular locksmith cut the key.
Frank
key.gif

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
Yes, Francesco is right, the simplest and cheapest solution is to get a couple of those shells and transfer your modules to the new shells. Might as well replace the batteries at the same time. Then get the new keys cut anywhere and you're good to go.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
You can also buy a blank key (with the guts) and program it with the software called Techstream and buy the mini vci cable. The Techstream ususally comes with the cable. Look on Ebay. If you don't want to go to the hassle of programming and installing it on a laptop then get a locksmith to make a key. If you have Kijiji in your area check there for installers that can make a key for you which may be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hello Rav world!

Long term lurker and admirer of the near perfect Rav

I got lucky and bought a one owner 2006 limited V6 (here in Ontario) at a great price

the only complaint is the condition of the original key fobs, all of the buttons are missing and most of it is totally worn out. I went to the dealer today where the car has been serviced it’s whole life and they quoted me a replacement cost of $250 per key plus programming.
so naturally I was wondering if anyone in this community have had success with ordering aftermarket key fobs and letting the dealer program them.

Thanks gang !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got two key fobs (both have rubbed off buttons)
and 1 basic key

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Then just get the keyfob shell and just take the buttons out and put them in your old keyfob. Takes about 5 mins

Check to make sure it fits your model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts