Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2006 Model Year Rumors? (w/photos)

45K views 60 replies 12 participants last post by  Shar Pei Puppy 
#1 ·
What I've seen so far... rumors... rumors... rumors... :?

The first pic I saw...

... from this site -
http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?forumID=31&threadID=11289

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next I saw this....

From Magazine-X (Japan). ( http://www.mag-x.com/ )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then along came...

From - http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3693

Quite a few people call the autospies.com photos a complete hoax. They have valid points as it appears some of the features in each photo don't match features in the other. It's been suggested these 2006 RAV4 photos are actually photochopped from a Chevy S3X :(

What I find odd is how much the autospies.com photos have in common with the autoweek thumbnail at the top of this message. :?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know about the new models, but I think that the Rav4s look just fine the way they are. Eveyone has their own taste on looks and if it were up to me, the only things I'd change (for some people) are the performance and interior goodies :wink:
Out of the different pics that Kelly posted, I think the most acceptable model for me is the blue one. The second pic looks more like a Ford (yuk! Not a Ford lover) Focus, hehe. That was a very interesting research you did about that last car, Kelly :)

Miriam

#3 ·
Kelly, that second article (titled RAV More) actually appeared in Wheels magazine. Redline is just the name given to a section in the magazine. (Note from Kelly: Thanks, I've made the correction.)

Well i do hope the RAV4.3 comes with a V6 to stay ahead of the competition. What would be great is that if 2 engine choices were offered (current 2.4L and maybe a 3.0 or 3.3L V6).

#4 ·
Just to add my .02 cents into the rumour mill. :D Part of me believes that autospies pictures (blue RAV4) is an actual spy shot of the upcoming 2006 RAV4. Why do I believe this is so? If you look at the grille shape and design, it closely follows the grille shape and design of the newest 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The black slats that are in the grille are exactly shaped like the new Tacomas. The logo placement is not the same as the RAVs is placed up on the top of the grille, but that is probably subject to change.

If you look closely at the front end of the newest Tacomas (as I have a 2005 Tacoma brochure in front of me), there is a very strong family resemblance between the two.

Also, if you look very closely at the Autospies picture that shows the front 3/4 shot of the blue RAV; in the reflection of the paint on the door panels and bumper, you can see the image of some cobblestone street and a building in the background. This would be very difficult (but not impossible) to Photoshop and get realistic results. Also the European license plate on that RAV would also hint that cobblestone streets are an appropriate backdrop of this spyshot.

Lastly, as for the Chevy S3X hoax. Hasn't Toyota worked collaboratively with Chevrolet in the past to develop and badge engineer each others cars? This just maybe a sibling design concept collaborated between both companies? :wink:

Post up your comments, I'm curious to see what you think about all of this. :D

G
#5 ·
I like the autospies blue RAV4 as well, but what are they thinking? A 6 and a third row seat? If I wanted either of those I'd get a Highlander. The RAV is getting bigger and bigger and I don't like it one bit. I don't think they should have dropped the 2 door RAV (in the US) nor do we need another big and bloated SUV.

#6 ·
runciter said:
I like the autospies blue RAV4 as well, but what are they thinking? A 6 and a third row seat? If I wanted either of those I'd get a Highlander. The RAV is getting bigger and bigger and I don't like it one bit. I don't think they should have dropped the 2 door RAV (in the US) nor do we need another big and bloated SUV.
Amen to that :!: :mrgreen:

G
#7 ·
I scanned these from Autoexpress (6-12th Oct2004 Issue 827). The article is same one that they have online, Both of these Pictures are originally from Mag-X magazine, Top one is just a slightly better copy of the first image that surfaced and posted above, Second one I have not seen anywhere online yet, Sadly the picture was split over a page and that is why there is mark down the image when I scanned it.

G
#8 ·
Those pictures look like they have been photoshoped, a decent photoshop job, but noticible. The pictures from autospies, I think, are definitly fakes. There are way to many similarities to the Daewoo designed Chevy.

G
#9 ·
The RAV4 2006/Chevy S3X pictures above are for sure photoshops but the ones from the Japanese Mag-X magazine I reckon are more believable. The Mag-X pictures are either full sized clay models or computer generated designs. The current RAV4 (Gen 4.2) was caught by Mag-X and they are more or less what the current RAV4 looks like. This is previous spy shots from Mag-X:-

Here are full sized clay models of the current RAV4 when it was being designed.

http://www.sc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/rav4_concept_models.jpg

Toyota USA (Calty) Design Studio in California designed the 4/5 Door and Toyota Japan (City) Studio designed the 2/3 Door but they both kept the same design for front and rear.

#13 ·
Moza, don't you mean:

RAV4.3 = 2006+ model

And as for the Mag-X spy picts., doesn't it look similar in design to the Autospies pictures? I would have to say that this is most likely the general shape of the 2006 RAV4. There will probably be some small detail productions changes (such as trim, lights, wheels, etc.); but overall, probably what the next generation RAV will look like. :wink:

G
#15 ·
Derek said:
And as for the Mag-X spy picts., doesn't it look similar in design to the Autospies pictures? I would have to say that this is most likely the general shape of the 2006 RAV4. There will probably be some small detail productions changes (such as trim, lights, wheels, etc.); but overall, probably what the next generation RAV will look like. :wink:
For info the Autospies pictures are taken from a French car mag l'auto Journal see here and nothing to do with Autospies site which is well known for taken copyrighted and press material under press embargo and publishing them. I emailed Autospies previously about publishing Lexus 430 pictures and details that was under a press embargo until a certain date and the guy replied saying "don't care".

G
#18 ·
It's fake regardless if the l'auto-Journal respected mag or not, The picture is based on the Chevy S3X plain and simple, The biggest give away is the wheels I mean come on the artist did not even change them.

#20 ·
As a Designer is say the Blue Rav four is a bit off balance.

The Front is an excellent progression of the current RAV. I like it very much. It’s even more aggressive.
But the Side 3/4 view looks an evolution of the Lexus RX. Too Luxurious.

Looks like some of the concept was taking from the Infinity FX. Don’t like Nissan but they have hired some great designers / Chief Designers.

As for the next generation being bigger. Well I think a product manger would have to foresee the price of gas is going down :wink:

As for 2 engine choices I think it would be great. Put more meaning into the word SPORT U V while giving others the choice on saving a bit more on gas.

I would hope the Management Team at Toyota look at the RAV 4 World and get some input onto what the general likes and dislikes of Us consumers.

Anyhow, I wont be letting my 2002 Baby go for at least 5 years unless my accountant tells me that I missed an extra 0 on my Net income
:D :D

#21 ·
I agree to this too. There is just too many SUVs out in the streets nowadays. Enlarging the current shape RAV would just lose its personality. If I was to get a big SUV, I would rather go for the Highlander (Kluger) or the Prado! Although the current RAV has been upsized to 2.4L from 2.0... I would like to see the current shape continue just with a V6 3.3 Litre.

runciter said:

#24 ·
TobyIIDog said:
I agree to this too. There is just too many SUVs out in the streets nowadays. Enlarging the current shape RAV would just lose its personality. If I was to get a big SUV, I would rather go for the Highlander (Kluger) or the Prado! Although the current RAV has been upsized to 2.4L from 2.0... I would like to see the current shape continue just with a V6 3.3 Litre.
I agree with you very much :D

Miriam

G
#25 ·
my father has a Highlander, and being considerable bigger than my 99 RAV4 in almost ever dimension I find it boring to drive, a little clumsy and an overall lifeless car to drive. Although it is a very nice car and somewhat luxurious(compared to my RAV), I would hape toyota didn't make the RAV4 like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.