Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RAV4 that is an oil burner. I put in a quart every week. A hundred and fifty thousand miles.

On the way home from work today about three blocks from my house the transmission made a loud bang then I heard parts rattling around inside. Lost forward movement. I managed to get it into first gear which worked and got it home.

So the question is first would you fix it with both of those conditions?

Second how much to have a transmission rebuilt or remanufactured?

Location is Philadelphia PA suburbs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 2006 RAV4 that is an oil burner. I put in a quart every week. A hundred and fifty thousand miles.

On the way home from work today about three blocks from my house the transmission made a loud bang then I heard parts rattling around inside. Lost forward movement. I managed to get it into first gear which worked and got it home.

So the question is first would you fix it with both of those conditions?

Second how much to have a transmission rebuilt or remanufactured?

Location is Philadelphia PA suburbs.
If she wasn't an oil burner I'd consider. Have you ever tried looking into why she burns?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
To replace a transmission is some where in the range of $3500 to $5000. You have the engine that burns oil and if that fails you are out another $4000 to $5000. Your engine is probably about to go. I would take a loss now and buy a more reliable vehicle. It is not cheap in the short term but better in the long term.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
If she wasn't an oil burner I'd consider. Have you ever tried looking into why she burns?

He has the famous 2.4 litre engine that is an oil burner. Many other Toyota with this engine are known for high oil consumption. But Steve engine is burning a quart every week which is not a good sign and looks like there is not much time left before it dies.

·
Registered
235 Posts
He has the famous 2.4 litre engine that is an oil burner. Many other Toyota with this engine are known for high oil consumption. But Steve engine is burning a quart every week which is not a good sign and looks like there is not much time left before it dies.
Total bummer. My 2003 2.0 uses about 3/4 quart over 6500-7000 mile oil change intervals.

But my 2004 e46 BMW used to burn a quart every 600-1000 miles until I deleted the factory crank case system and went with a Japanese style pcv. Now at 1400 miles and barely any consumption.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2011 4cyl tranny just died too. 150k miles on it. Toyota wanted $6500 to replace. I found a local shop that put in a salvage tranny for $2200.

If you're just trying to avoid a new car payment and want to drive it till the wheels fall off you could always go the cheapass way and put in some of the additives from Lucas oil. I don't work for them, just tried some in our old corrola. It didn't fix the problems in the week before trade in, but it sure was better than it was, LOL.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd buy a used trans on eBay for $500 which I just looked up. And then I'd run rotella t6 in the engine. You'll see less consumption. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. The tranny sounds like a can of nuts & bolts was dropped in it, so a liquid cure ain't gonna help.

Probably going to bite the bullet and get rid of it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, I think your done. You could consider buying a similar vehicle and use yours for parts or consider parting out the remains of your vehicle. Time to move on and make another purchase I think.....good luck.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Steve, if you are going to get rid of it please let me know. I would be interested in it for a project I have been thinking about. As long as it's not a smoker car and is in decent shape. Transmission doesn't matter.

now for my 2 cents

It's not hard to find another transmission. The oil usage is fixable or you can keep adding oil. It's worth keeping. Ours burns a qt every 6-800 miles. I will be fixing it in the spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts