Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Should my sister get a 2005 or 2006 RAV4?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister wants to buy a RAV4 and says she wants to get the 2005 model. I tell her to get the 2006 model instead because it is available with the V6 motor, but she says that it uses more gas than the I4 and she doesnt like how it looks since it is longer than the 2005 model.

According to the Toyota site, the MPG difference between the I4 and V6 is only about 1 or 2 MPG. Is this true, or is the difference more significant?

I also told my sister that since its going to cost her approximately the same for a 2005 and a 2006 model (dealer says the 2005 model is hard to find so thats how they justify the higher price) that she should get the 2006 model because it has things that are not available in the 2005 model.

Can you all give me some Pros and Cons of each model? Which one would you get? My sister seems to be focused on the exterior look of the 2005 model instead of its features. Hopefully you guys can help me convince her to get the 2006 model :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
jaimegmr said:
she says that it uses more gas than the I4 and she doesnt like how it looks since it is longer than the 2005 model.
I can't really help, because I totally agree with her. The 2006 is not available in a manual, the V6 will not be available until Q1/2006 (March?) so no one really knows what type of mileage it gets. Reviews say they're getting about 18 miles per gallon, combined city/hwy so that's a heck of a lot less than the 27 or so I normally get (I drive pretty moderately).

All in all, I think the interior of the 2006 is better, but I just don't like it. Saw my first one Christmas eve at a dealer around here and I seriously could not tell the difference between it, and a Highlander. I had to actually stop the car, double back and read the label twice to assure myself that it WASN'T a 2006 Highlander.

In short, the 2006 RAV4 isn't a RAV4 at all, in looks, or spirit. It's the 2006 Highlander.

Wayne

·
Registered
179 Posts
They are both good cars.
It depends mostly on whether she wants the smaller or larger car. Nobody can decide that except her.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with your sister, really not sure whether or not I'll get the new rav now. It's longer and wider, sorta defeats the purpose of the rav, its supposed to be small & quic... good for city parking & a w/e getaway. I was really excited about the '06 since my '02 was wrecked.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prefer the 01 to 05 model over the 06. I've checked it out at the dealership today. Sticker price is about $28,000 USD for a fully loaded 4x4 4cylinder, leather, JBL sound , Limited Package. So I think Toyota lied about the "about the same price as a 05."

pro's :

- Lots more leg room and cargo room

- Much more new techno toys

- Much better air tight doors, I felt that closing the doors I was
its much more like a higher class car, which was not seen in the older model.

----------------------------------------------
con's:

- Exterior, lots the sporty looks of the previous model. Rear looks a lot worse.

- Interior, seemed too busy, with the double decked console.

- Price, $28k USD .... for a 4 cylinder (top of the line) is way over priced... I would prefer a 4runner for that price.

----------------------------------------------
OVERALL : I would still rather keep my 01 RAV4

I would really love to see projector lights as in their 07 model. Along with many other options such as navi. I can see that Fender flares are availble for the sport package, in the Brochure.
Look forward to a hoodscoop or even some performance tuned packages.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think one factor is resale value. I would guess that a few years down the road an '06 will be worth a decent amount more than the '05. You pay more up front but get more at the end. Of course that's not enough to override the primary question: which one does she like to drive better?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone! I'm new here so I hope you get my message right.

Recently I've been following all the information posted here because I'm in the same situation your sister is, I'm about to change my car for a new one and I'm not sure yet what to get.

To be honest at first I was thinking about a Jeep Liberty but I realized I didn't need a V6. I'm a big fan of the Rav4 and a couple of months ago I was pretty sure about what I wanted.... until I knew there was going to be a new Rav4 so I decided to wait. The dealer finally had it but when I went to see it, it doesn't really look like the 2005..... it seems too big for my needs. This situation is driving me crazy to make up my mind because a lot of people tell me it would not be a good deal to buy a version that is out of the market now (rav4 2005).

Any comments will be really helpfull!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Like everyone else in this post has said, go with whatever needs you have. If you need a small car for driving around in the city and for parking in small spaces, if you like the sporty and unique looks, if you don't have kids or a big family to drive around, if you want a stick shift, then go for the 01-05. If you do need the cargo space, blah blah blah, bigger car, blah blah blah, V6, blah blah blah, if you have the extra money, then go for the 06. Prioritize your needs, write a list with the things you like about both and put them next together for comparison. Do your research first.

The other day, I saw the Sport pckg. at my dealership, and the only things i like about it is the gauge, the seats, the rear seats that fold down with easiness, ok, basically interior and performance stuff (mine is a little 2.0 liter), but did not like the exterior, too long for my taste, and i don't really like the looks of it. Besides, it looks like a Highlander-wanna-be with a RAV4 badge on it :roll:.

·
Registered
771 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Besides, it looks like a Highlander-wanna-be with a RAV4 badge on it :roll:.
Agree there. I believe this is because Toyota is thinning out their fleet in the next year or so. The Highlander will grow too soon and this is my theory: The 4 Runner will be cut loose and put out to pasture. The thing is Technology from the 80's with alot of new gagets added over the years. The Highlander will expand to capture the 4 Runner customers maybe offering more like the RAV is now.

The New RAV 4 is bigger and is something that will appeal to the buyers looking for more space. We are left with our RAV's which we love because of the size for one thing and nowhere to go afterwards unless we go bigger.

This was one reason I bought it. I didn't want to be one of those big SUV drivin' hipacrits (spelling B champ) that I despised driving a "transport truck" when all they needed was an Echo.

Get used to the size, it's here to stay. I'm sure the '06 will do well on fuel but imagine with better technology how good our RAV's would be. (tranny, intake, exhaust and switchable 4wd)

I like the 4.2 generation because of its Tonka Toy look it has going. The 4.3 just has that sell-out look like all the others on the market.

Later. M. :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sample size is too small, but Toyota should be disappointed by the poll if the 60/40 ratio stays in favour of 05' RAV4. Where to buy a small, agile, and dependable SUV for city driving?

·
Registered
214 Posts
autumnwood said:
The sample size is too small, but Toyota should be disappointed by the poll if the 60/40 ratio stays in favour of 05' RAV4. Where to buy a small, agile, and dependable SUV for city driving?
It's very seriously doubtful that anyone at Toyota with management capabilities listens to anything said on this -- or any other -- site. They have some bean counter whom they pay probably 6 figures per year who tell them what they should do to please the market itself, and Toyota follows their input.

The input from these weenies was obviously "make everything bigger, bigger sells better", so there ya go. I like the theory that they're shifting models to get rid of the 4runner, and to be honest, I'm not sure the 4.2 RAV4 was that big a seller, so it probably made some sort of sense at the time.

My problem isn't that they changed the RAV4. It's that they did such an incredibly bland, mediocre job of it (v6 notwithstanding). We are RAV4 enthusiasts. We love our cars, so it's painful for us to see the RAV4 perverted from it's 4.1 or even 4.2 self with tons of character, into yet another large, bland, bubblesque SUV with no character or style at all.

It remains to be seen how the real world will relate to the new RAV4. It may sell like hotcakes. I just can't believe anyone who loves their current RAV4 would even consider purchasing such a bastardized Highlander.

Wayne

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im sorry, but Ive been lurking and I had to reply to this thread.

I just went to the dealership Saturday and test drove (in this order):

06 Rav4 Base (red)
06 Highlander Limited
06 4Runner Sport Ed.

Personally, I wasnt even considering the Rav4, but was humoring my wife. I wasnt too fond of the Highlander (again with the humoring), but I was really interested in the 4Runner. Only criteria really is that we are having a baby soon, and I drive a Celica (01) so I want something larger, prefarably a Yota, preferably an SUV.

So, drove the Rav, and was immediately surprised at how well it drove. Smooth, stylish, I liked the interior and really liked the space. The Cargo area really impressed me with its additional underneath storage (if you dont have the 3rd row seat) and folding seats, cargo net, funky Taupee slip cover thing (however you spell it).

Then the Highlander. Well, this is just like the Rav only smoother, with a more "luxurious" feel to it. Wood grain, nicer seats etc. Still liked the cargo area too.

Then the 4Runner. Well, its a truck. And the sales people make sure to differentiate it with the others with this point. "Its a truck". It drives like a truck, feels like a truck, looks like a truck. Not necessarily a bad thing. Remember, I was really looking forward to the 4R. But after driving the HL and R4... i realized that I still wanted that "car" feel. I mean, Ive been driving my Celica for 4 years and its quite zippy.

After going over the brochures for quite a while and weighing all of the pros and cons, we came to the conclusion that the Rav would be the best bet for us.

Personally, I like the new Rav 4 way better than the old style, and thats primarily why I was so not into it to begin with. I just kept picturing "Rav4". So, I was surprised.

Bottom line it came to this statement: "If the Rav4 had Nav, it would be PERFECT!". So, am I prepared to spend nearly 8-10k more for an SUV just to have NAV (and not the sick Rav4 Sport Edition color scheme, Flint Mica with Dark Charcoal interior - my favorite combo of all 3 vehicles)?? Of course not. I could just get a 3rd party nav unit and be just as happy.

I guess what Im so surprised with is how much everyone seems to not like the new style. But then again, it makes sense, so I REALLY didnt like the old style. ;) Basically, I would never have purchased the original Rav, even the 05, but am eager to get my new 06. Im sure there are plenty of people in my position. But, I understand you are mostly enthusiasts... and most of the time its hard to accept change (especially when its to something that you find near and dear). Many people hated the new IS design, while I loved it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jkat said:
Im sorry, but Ive been lurking and I had to reply to this thread.

I just went to the dealership Saturday and test drove (in this order):

06 RAV4 Base (red)
06 Highlander Limited
06 4Runner Sport Ed.

Personally, I wasnt even considering the RAV4, but was humoring my wife. I wasnt too fond of the Highlander (again with the humoring), but I was really interested in the 4Runner. Only criteria really is that we are having a baby soon, and I drive a Celica (01) so I want something larger, prefarably a Yota, preferably an SUV.

So, drove the RAV, and was immediately surprised at how well it drove. Smooth, stylish, I liked the interior and really liked the space. The Cargo area really impressed me with its additional underneath storage (if you dont have the 3rd row seat) and folding seats, cargo net, funky Taupee slip cover thing (however you spell it).

Then the Highlander. Well, this is just like the RAV only smoother, with a more "luxurious" feel to it. Wood grain, nicer seats etc. Still liked the cargo area too.

Then the 4Runner. Well, its a truck. And the sales people make sure to differentiate it with the others with this point. "Its a truck". It drives like a truck, feels like a truck, looks like a truck. Not necessarily a bad thing. Remember, I was really looking forward to the 4R. But after driving the HL and R4... i realized that I still wanted that "car" feel. I mean, Ive been driving my Celica for 4 years and its quite zippy.

After going over the brochures for quite a while and weighing all of the pros and cons, we came to the conclusion that the RAV would be the best bet for us.

Personally, I like the new RAV 4 way better than the old style, and thats primarily why I was so not into it to begin with. I just kept picturing "RAV4". So, I was surprised.

Bottom line it came to this statement: "If the RAV4 had Nav, it would be PERFECT!". So, am I prepared to spend nearly 8-10k more for an SUV just to have NAV (and not the sick RAV4 Sport Edition color scheme, Flint Mica with Dark Charcoal interior - my favorite combo of all 3 vehicles)?? Of course not. I could just get a 3rd party nav unit and be just as happy.

I guess what Im so surprised with is how much everyone seems to not like the new style. But then again, it makes sense, so I REALLY didnt like the old style. ;) Basically, I would never have purchased the original RAV, even the 05, but am eager to get my new 06. Im sure there are plenty of people in my position. But, I understand you are mostly enthusiasts... and most of the time its hard to accept change (especially when its to something that you find near and dear). Many people hated the new IS design, while I loved it.
I loved your write up thanks. You seem to thave a similar taste as me. Did you already make your purchase? Are you going to get the 4-cyclinder or the V6? If I do go ahead to get mine I am getting the V6 it gets similar gas mileage only a little worse which is very good considering it has 269hp as opposed to 166, so pretty much an extra 100hp :shock: I love your color choice! That is the one I want but here in Canada you can't add side air bags to the sport flint mica. You have to get the Limited Package B which has everything, leather seats, sunroof, 9 speakers 6 disc changer, etc...here for all the features I want. The only thing is that I want the flint mica, but everything else is cool. Please let us know more about your purchase.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think my taste is similar to csis_agent and jkat. I resisted looking at the RAV4 because I just didn't like it (encouragement from friends when I decided against the Element much to my chagrin). But then someone told me of the redesign with a V6 option so I decided to give it a shot since I had no other backup preferences.

After lots of research (many thanks to this site and its members) and finally a test drive of the 4-cyl, I'm sold and am just waiting for the V6. I did look at the Highlander, like jkat, but basically, I would be paying $5000 more for something very similar (and a bit larger) to the RAV4.

Plan on test driving but I'm pretty sure the V6 won't disappoint. If by any chance it does, I like the 4-cyl enough as a backup since I can still get all the options I want in the Limited version.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

Im not sure of the builds here in the US, but according to the Toyota "Build & Price your Rav4" you can get the Sport with only 1 package, the that includes JBL 9 speaker premium audio, all the airbags, and moonroof. So, hopefully, that will be my package!

I got a price on the Limited V6 with 3rd row, plus some other bells and whistles of 29k... that was without any haggling, and they didnt have any so he was really guessing on the price (as he was doing it ala carte...).

I will call Thurs and see if they can get me one of the first V6 that arrive.. I too want to test drive to be sure, but I was pleased with the 4 so the 6 surely shouldnt dissappoint.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This will be a contentious issue .People who never liked the Rav 4 seem drawn to the 06 and all that Rav enthusiasts liked is gone. The minivan has infiltrated every aspect of our society, we will all soon seat 7.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats true, it depends on what you like and what you need at the moment, the Rav 2005 works for me. I finally decided to get that one and as it is my first Toyota buy I hope I dont regret to get the "last year model". For one person the small size is perfect and I've been wanting to buy one since 2004.... and I'm getting it tomorrow!! :D wish me lucK!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The comprimise is the European/Japanese version of 4.3 RAV4 which is 18cm longer than 4.2 RAV4 but 22cm shorter than the US 4.3 version. The European version defintely looks more sporty than the long-wheel based version, add in side-airbags and JBL sound system , and it should be a winner.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jkat said:
I guess what Im so surprised with is how much everyone seems to not like the new style. But then again, it makes sense, so I REALLY didnt like the old style. ;) Basically, I would never have purchased the original RAV, even the 05, but am eager to get my new 06. Im sure there are plenty of people in my position. But, I understand you are mostly enthusiasts... and most of the time its hard to accept change (especially when its to something that you find near and dear).
Same here.

I need to buy a new vehicle this year. My leading candidate was the 2006 Honda Pilot. I thought the Pilot was a better value than the Highlander and I wasn't even considering 2005 RAV4.

However, the new RAV4 now looks like a really interesting alternative. With a V6 and 4WD... it stacks up very well against the Pilot but is about $3k less expensive, faster, and has better fuel economy to boot.

The toughest decision for me would be whether to get the leather seats or the third row. Tough call. Once in long while, the third row would be useful for kid hauling duty but the leather would be nice all the time.

So... the new RAV4 is tempting me where the old one would not have.

It will be interesting to see what Honda does with the 2007 CR-V.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts