Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Rav4world, I have owned a 2006 rav 4 for one year and bought it from a private seller for 10k.. Since one year has passed it started to develop a few issues like a EVAP problem. The other two owners owned it in Texas and New Mexico. . I have replaced the canister already once. I still have the original and Toyota looked at that and said its ruined and the one thats been on my car for 4 months is ruined as well...I bought the one that people suggested for the Camry (i think it was). . Toyota has a bulletin for those who live in a moist climate. I don't live in a moist climate at all, I actually live in the mountains and we get rain and snow, but it is rarely moist/humid. Well the Bulletin applied to my car and the new canister is 11 hundred dollars plus replacing the parts so its about a 13 hundred dollar problem. Okay, cool...I dont wanna go to Toyota for them to fix that. I'm so done with the dealership...
Second problem: My blendoor is broken. So one side is hot air and the other is cold air... I went to a independent person and they just managed to look at it, and cause a part to fall between the cool and hot air knob so now it gets stuck...He refused to take the dash apart unless I give him the 700 dollars for it.. He ****ed it up!!!!! I told him that since its messed up after he touched it, why can't he go back in with his brother like he originally did and just look at seeing whats stuck?! Yeah, didn't work.. Its easy to see the paneling was tampered with. He said he just removed the glove box and the paneling that lead to the heater box that are near the floor on both sides of the car. .

I'm looking at over 3k worth of damanged to the car all together it seems and I'm wondering if it is worth it...
I've owned it for a year, I have the third owner of the car, its got 93k miles on it, all the paper work that was ever done on the car..
I could have this car for more years to come...if I take care of it..
Advice? ideas?? Thank you!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not sure what the other damage is to the car that equals $3k, but if the EVAP issue can be solved for $1300 then I'd just do that. The Rav4 is a tough car to beat. The only thing better than a Rav4 is a newer Rav4 (until they screwed it up and only offered it in a 4 cylinder version, that is). The value is going to take a pretty serious hit with the issues it has, so I think you should get them fixed. With the milage you have on it I'd say you have a lot of life left in that thing. However, when you buy a 10 year old car then you have to expect some things to wear out or need replacing sooner rather than later. Having low miles doesn't mean it was handled gently. My car has over 130K on it and it is an '09, but it has been well cared for those 130k miles. Maintenance wasn't neglected and everything was maintained so that it runs and runs well for a very long time. The previous owners sound like they may have ridden it hard and put it away wet if you have that much in repair that needs to be done.

Anyway, it is up to you. You'll take a hit if you sell it while things aren't working, so either fix it up and sell it, or fix it up and keep it. The car still has plenty of life and value in it, so I think it is worth hanging on to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts