Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car stuck in park while no lights working at rear. Anyone suggest what happened? Flasher relay? I have no idea. I did find the Park override button on the console (which works) but I need to find out why all the rear lights died. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention I recently installed a trailer lights wiring kit at the back of the vehicle. It has worked well for several weeks but I suspect I might have somehow crimped a wire during installation, although all the connections are snap-together type connections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So ---- troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated. There is juice to the back of the vehicle and the ground wire seems fine.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The tail light fuse appears good. Does this fuse also handle the brake and signal lights?
No, the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals are on separate circuits. The trailer wiring adapters often fail internally. Disconnect the adapter and wire up everything normally. Remember, the tail lights/brake lights are LED's and the turn signals are regular incandescent bulbs.

Check your fuses under the dash and also in the 2 fuse boxes under the hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Junebug - I don't know what you mean by 'wiring adapter'. Do you mean I should remove the entire wiring harness (and all the snap-on connectors) and rewire the entire stern of the vehicle with individually soldered or crimped connectors? Should I talk to the company that sold me the harness and ask for refund? What specific component usually malfunctions and how do I test that component to confirm it's working properly? Thanks for any additional help!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Yes, I mean wiring harness. Some of them have a small box that allows the LED circuits for the brake/tail lights to drive the trailer circuits. It's that box that usually goes bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
The connections to the taillight adapter usually consist of inline plug & play "snap-together" connectors at the taillights themselves plus a 12V power wire and a ground. And yes you will need to disconnect the whole unit you installed and get every thing working in stock form w/o it, but that shouldn't involve any recrimping, soldering or removing the kit from the car. Just disconnect it until you get the lights, etc. working again. Then reinstall it checking all connections carefully. If the problems reoccur the kit is probably bad.
When I installed my taillight adapter it worked well while towing a trailer but then gave a brake error light on the dash. Turned out I'd disconnected the ground for the adapter while doing something else and forgot to reconnect it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The shifter interlock will not allow the transmission to be shifted out of park unless it senses brake light voltage. You've either blown the brake light fuse or somehow interrupted the signal getting back to the transmission interlock mechanism.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts