Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The review in Motorweek mentions "Intrusive road noise".....not good. The biggest dislike for me with the 4.2 was the cabin volume. I'd hoped this would be much better in the new one..... :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah, that worried me also. Moving from a civic I am looking for something with very little road noise

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well .....that actually makes me VERY HAPPY. YES, YES YES!!! ....Like you , the thing that I dislike about the current RAV is the relative lack of "refinement" and "upscale feel", even in the LIMITED trim ......Now, I was hoping that would be fixed in the new RAV, but for me, TOYOTA went and screwed up the new RAV4 REAALLLY BIG TIME :evil: by making it over 14 inches longer, turning it from a beautiful, unique "niche" vehicle, that was so "chuckable", to another ugly HIGHLANDER CLONE (you know what I mean: another DAMN choice for the Soccer moms ....like they don't have TEN THOUSAND choices already :roll: )

....So by now you're wondering why I'm so happy??...the reason is, now I won't be missing anything at all, because improved NVH was what I was looking for most of all in the redesigned RAV. Now all I have to do is get a SUPER WELL MAINTAINED MINT CONDITION 2004 or 2005 RAV4 and soundproof it using dynamat or something (I need a second vehicle, a COMPACT SUV for the horrendous city driving here in LA .....my Lexus LS 400 is a joke and I can't park it in half the places because of it's gargantuan dimensions :roll: )

....well, actually I will miss the 269bhp V6, but ...Oh, Well :roll:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

Plas said:
yeah, that worried me also. Moving from a civic I am looking for something with very little road noise
....this is a little off topic, but have you driven the new 2006 CIVIC....just one word to describe it: UNBELIEVABLE!!!....just test drove one today and was amazed at how "TORQUEY", SMOOTH and QUIET that 4-banger felt. Lots of low-end torque off the line (very unusual for a 4-banger, especially a Honda engine :shock: ). The interior also felt surprisingly "high quality", not like an econobox. ....no wonder it won the 2006 Motor trend car of the year!! ......besides, it's also available with a factory Nav system with voice recognition, and the HONDA Nav systems are SIMPLY THE BEST, BAR NONE!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't anyone jump off any bridges yet! The Car and Driver road test said the Rav4 drove better than most Toyota cars. Motorweek may have been driving a pre-production model.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I guess the reviews have been trickling in slowly since CarConnection cracked the dam -- maybe there was an official press embargo?

I've been scanning the online 'zines regularly for (p)reviews and still nothing at Automobile Magazine, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Cars.com or MSN Auto (or any others for that matter). Odd that C&D would get a review into print before their own website, but I guess they probably make more money from subscribers and newstand sales than the free electronic version. I was kind of hoping for a more diverse set of reviews and opinions to read by now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

victor555 said:
....this is a little off topic, but have you driven the new 2006 CIVIC....just one word to describe it: UNBELIEVABLE!!!....just test drove one today and was amazed at how "TORQUEY", SMOOTH and QUIET that 4-banger felt. Lots of low-end torque off the line (very unusual for a 4-banger, especially a Honda engine :shock: ). The interior also felt surprisingly "high quality", not like an econobox. ....no wonder it won the 2006 Motor trend car of the year!! ......besides, it's also available with a factory Nav system with voice recognition, and the HONDA Nav systems are SIMPLY THE BEST, BAR NONE!!!
I don't know about the 2006 CIVIC, but I drove a 2005 for quite a while and I didn't find it all that amazing. In fact the run-of-the-mill 2005 Corolla I was driving at the same time was less noisier and way nicer in the highway driving.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sad that they did not sound proof the 06 well. I will be putting B-quiiet in my 02 next summer.

As for last generation civic I was so unimpressed. I liked the Corolla much better except for the ergonomics. As for the new Civic it got top marks in a recent crash test.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THAT'S MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!

edcruz_2010 said:
I don't know about the 2006 CIVIC, but I drove a 2005 for quite a while and I didn't find it all that amazing. In fact the run-of-the-mill 2005 Corolla I was driving at the same time was less noisier and way nicer in the highway driving.
....What I'm saying is the 2006 model has NOTHING, AND I REPEAT NOTHING in common with the previous gen. It's a totally different animal

....and FYI, it won Motor Trend's 2006 "Car of the Year" award...and IMO, very rightfully so!!! ....and mind you, the finalists included newly redesigned models such as the BMW 330i and the Lexus IS 350, which makes the win all the more impressive!!!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drove an 06 Sport Package

In MA. It wasn't quiet, was a bit bouncy, and the materials felt cheap. Not an improvement on my old 2001 RAV. It's too bad. I don't think adding cheap leather and a Limited badge will help. The V6 will just make it a fast fisher price mobile.

Not expected from Toyota. My 1990 Camry felt more plush than the new RAV.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Compared to what?..... 4.2? Another car? To me, the 4.2 is LOUD. If the -06 is comparable I wouldn't even consider buying it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Car & Driver said something about "Camry-quiet"....why are the previous generation owners so eager to hate on it?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drive a 01 Celica regularly and can barely hear the radio/iPod while driving. (so i may be biased in that anything is an improvement)

I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary loudness with the road noise, and even drove on extended highway while test driving the base 06 Rav4.

BUT, I will be sure to pay extra close attention during my next test drive, now that everyone is pointing it out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
jkat said:
I will be sure to pay extra close attention during my next test drive, now that everyone is pointing it out.
My 1988 Honda Civic wagon is also really (I mean really) noisy so I might be biased too. When I test drove the 2006 and the 2005 RAVs, I recall the cabin noise was less in the 2006. But I was only on the side streets, not on the freeway, and didn't take it past 45 MPH.

Oh I forgot to mention, I did drive it over railroad tracks at about 35 MPH. It had that slight bounce at the end but wasn't bouncy-bouncy like someone else had posted. Maybe if I was going a little faster? :wink: The sound of the tracks under the tire seemed more muffled in the 2006 than the 2005.

I'll also pay more attention to the noise and try to test the bouncy the next test drive.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just drove a base model two weeks ago. Mostly on the highway
( up & down hills). It certainly was no noisier than my '02 Explorer. My Sport model is arriving soon. I'll let you know how that is after I drive it for awhile.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quiteness

We drove the 06: Rav, CRV, Mariner, and Rendezvous, and last year a Murano and Pilot, and the Rav was quietest in our opinion. It isn't as quiet as our Camry, but we thought it better than the others.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Our '06 base is sufficiently quiet, maybe not as quiet as our '02 Camry, but infinitely quieter than our former '96 rav. And aside from the low quality cloth seats and the cheap plastic dash, it does give a much more luxurious feeling than the rav 4.1. it is really nice to drive. it doesn't kick ass like I expect the V6 to do, but that too is loads better than our '96, and we want a family car not a sports car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cloth

I can't understand why toyota provided such lousy cloth in these either, especially the support cloth on the sides. We almost didn't buy one because of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts