Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I took my family tubing up at Mt. Hood today. For those of you who don't know the Cascades, we measure our snow like we measure buildings, in STORIES. We have gotten over 500 inches this winter! Well the roads were pretty clear until we got the Mt. Hood Ski Bowl. Then it was all hard pack. Anyway we were making our way to the parking area when a Volvo Cross Country ahead of me made a mistake and stopped at the top of a small hill going down to a narrow bridge that crosses the main road. The lady started spinning her wheels and the Volvo slowly slid into a snow bank. A man that was with her jumped out and started putting on chains. I just hit my locker and threw her into low and motored on around, down and across the bridge and the wheels didn't spin once :D No problem :!:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Wooooohooooo!! Go RAV! Way to show that Volvo sstarx! I know some people were questioning Toyota's change to the RAV's 4WD system, but I think you just certified its capabilities in a real-life situation! 8) :D

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Re: 2006 RAV4 could where Volvo Cross Country Couldn't

sstarrx3 said:
Hey guys I took my family tubing up at Mt. Hood today.
Not to change the topic too much :wink: but I made EXACTLY the same trip back on Feb. 8th... but I continued on up the road to Meadows 8)

FWIW... the 4.1 RAV4 also has NO problems with the stretch of road 8) :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 2006 RAV4 could where Volvo Cross Country Couldn't

Kelly Smith said:
FWIW... the 4.1 RAV4 also has NO problems with the stretch of road 8) :lol:
I was surprised the Volvo had trouble. I would think it was probably a nervous driver :D If she has thrown it into low and kept going instead of stopping I wouldn't think she would have had a problem. If not, the Volvo AWD system isn't worth a dime! Those rides are expensive too :eek:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The Volvo wouldn't have had any problem either if she hadn't stopped -- they're a very capable vehicle, but even a great AWD system won't help if you've lost momentum in deep snow or slippery conditions.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flyingn said:
very cool..... :) one question tho. what would putting it in low change? Its already in first gear creeping along anyway..
I wanted it to stay in low going down the slope, I wan't going to brake :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
AHHH OK got cha

sstarrx3 said:
flyingn said:
very cool..... :) one question tho. what would putting it in low change? Its already in first gear creeping along anyway..
I wanted it to stay in low going down the slope, I wan't going to brake :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts