Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 RAV4 stalled on the road yesterday after about 20 minutes of driving.
I towed it home because I thought it might be an alternator problem because the battery seemed dead. I had a friend come by who is a Toyota mechanic for a quick check. He attached a box with cables to the battery to try and jump start it but the car wouldn't turn. He said he thinks the engine is seized. The engine still has oil in it and has never leaked any oil. Can an engine seize if it still has all of its oil in it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
............Can an engine seize if it still has all of its oil in it?

Yes, an engine can seize even if its full of oil.

But before you go that route - I would have your battery tested. Load and voltage test. May need a good charge first. If it shorted out sometimes you can't even jump them. Just for the heck of it, I would try another charged battery and see if it turns over.

Did it make any noises when it shut off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will charge the battery and get it tested. Just to let you know, the head lights seem bright when I turn them on.
There was no noise. It just stopped running when I was waiting at a light. It didn't even over heat.
Any idea on what the cost would be to repair a seized engine?

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
What engine do you have?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pull all 6 plugs and try to rotate it from the harmonic balancer by hand

If it rotates by hand, try to spin it with the starter with the plugs out.... pull the fuel pump fuse if it is EFI or you will be spraying fuel

If it spins by the starter run a compression test

Mileage on engine?

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Have never heard before of a 3.5L V6 seizing if it has oil. Exactly what was happening when the engine quit? Before it stopped were any dash warning lights illuminated?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RAV has 188,000 Kilometers on it. I won't be able to do some of the mechanical suggestions but I will have my friend who is a Toyota mechanic take a closer look at it soon. I just wanted to know if it was possible for an engine to seize with oil still in it. No warning lights that I can remember.
The RAV was running fine before it died. I was waiting at a light and noticed that the engine wasn't running. I tried a few times to start it but it wouldn't turn over. It seemed like the battery was dead but the head light were working.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Starter or solenoid failure? I guess that wouldn't explain why it died, though.

Fuel pump?

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Could be as simple as a blown fuse or bad relay. Do the lights dim when you try to start it?

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If the battery tests OK and the fuses are good then suggest that you use a code reader or have someone who has one check to see if there are any error codes. Some auto parts stores will check them at no cost or will lend a code reader, or have them read by a service center, which obviously may mean that your RAV will need to be towed again. Good luck!

S

·
0 Posts
Don't call the engine seized as yet . . . .not till the weight challenged lady sings. You need to clear the other
problems so you can try turning it over . . . . . .first.
Its possible to seize the engine, but 98% of the time it going to give out a series of signal or a loud final breath.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've experienced engine seizures in various bits of power equipment and motorcycles and they were never sudden. First clue something's wrong is a somewhat gradual loss of power followed by the seizure. If it just suddenly up and quit I'd suspect something electrical. I have a battery dead short internally preventing jump starting, in fact connecting the jumper car's battery to the dead one caused the idle speed to drop on the helper vehicle and the cables got warm quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had my Toyota mechanic friend come by on Friday to look at it more. He said the engine was seized and it would cost $2,500 to $3,500 to fix it. I wasn't there at the time to see what he did. I decided yesterday to try and charge the battery. When I first turned the charger on, I noticed the battery was only 50%. Later that night, when the battery was was up to 100%, I tried to start the car. It started and ran for about 30 seconds and stopped. One of the things I noticed was the oil light was on . There may have been other lights on the dash on but this is the first time I've seen the oil light stay on.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If the engine started and ran for 30 seconds then it wasn't frozen at that point. When the oil light came on the engine should have been shut down immediately. Are you certain that the oil level is either full, or within the upper and lower marks on the dipstick?

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Suggest that you have your RAV taken to a trustworthy shop for diagnosis. Could be a faulty oil pump. Also there may actually be severe engine damage especially at the crankshaft and bearings, but since the engine actually did run for about 30 seconds then the original diagnosis of a frozen engine at that point may have been incorrect, although an engine which appears to be seized when at operating temperature may spin normally when it has cooled.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it really is seized, don't waste money fixing the old engine. Get a used one installed from a wrecked car. Much cheaper and simpler.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Just checked and a used one is $1650 US ($2000 CAD) at Standard Auto Wreckers in Toronto.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts