Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting approx. 1 quart in my 2006 Rav4 I4 every 1000 miles or so, so I asked the dealer to do a consumption test. It has approx. 100,000 miles on it at the time. 1250 miles later I take it back in and they say it took .9 quart to fill it. They called this a "pass". What constitutes a "fail"?

They had then put the tape on it and told me to go another 1250 miles. I said I wanted to check the refill so he pulled the tape and it was filled to the full mark so he sealed it up again.

Did I have to do phase 2 right away (I was not given a choice), I know the enhanced warranty runs out 10/31/16 for my car so I was thinking I might wait until the next oil change.

I also noted on the 2 previous oil change invoices that they had put in 5W-30, not the 0W-20 or the 5W-20 the owners manual recommends. In fact the manual says "0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting". Does this fact make any difference in oil consumption?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I don't follow your meaning. Is a thicker viscosity significant???
Sorry for my attempt at sarcasm, but yes, a thicker oil generally would reduce oil burning. If I were in your situation, I would certainly want an explanation, in writing, as to why a Toyota dealer wouldn't honor Toyota's recommendation for correct oil usage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was adding 2qts every 600-700 miles and when they did the test I asked to see the dipstick before they taped it up. It was over filled by at least .5 qt. It was noted on the record and I still had the oil light come on before the 1200 miles. I think it's 2qt/1200mi to "fail."

It's sitting in the shop in pieces this week...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pass or fail?

Can anyone confirm what amount of oil consumption would be a "fail"
in the 1100 to 1300 miles.
Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts