Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I know this subject has been covered a number of times but I need an updated post response.
I need to do a diff and transfer oil change but I find the service sheets confusing as the diff info states
Hypoid 90 SX API GL5 & transfer SAE 80W-90 GL-5.
The GL-5 bit is easy but I'm having a problem with the rest???
I read somewhere that the SX only refers to 2009 models on and elsewhere that the same oil can be used in both.
My local motor factors has two types - 75w90 in mineral and 80w90 in semi synthetic both mentioning EP and hypoid in the titles but no SX
Questions are, which one would you go for. Does it matter mineral or semi syn and can I use the same in both. Lastly, is the SX indeed only 2009 on??

·
Registered
419 Posts
Your in the UK, but see if this AMSOIL (full synthetic fluids) link helps any:
2006 TOYOTA RAV4 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code 2AZ-FE
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehi...2=2006+TOYOTA+RAV4+4&metric=True&celsius=True

I use synthetic oils exclusively, last 20 years...Amsoil is my favorite brand...not all syn's created equal, some just additive packs just mixed in with mineral base stocks.
- full syn. in virtually everything, right down to my JD garden tractor & snow blowers
- my small air compressor, used for running a Carpenters air nailer / came with cheap oil & would blow fuses, once temperatures dropped in winter...switched to Amsoil, problem solved.
- the best oil, will also reduce drive line friction / my brother gained more Km's, per full tank of gas, using all Amsoil fluids in his Jeep TJ (engine / rear end / transmission / transfer case)
If I'm going to change fluids, mineral or semi syn. isn't my choice any longer / full synthetic here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on Diff & Transfer Oils

After much thought, reading and advice I've gone for a fully synthetic EP 75W-90 which meets, as it states on the label, API GL-4 & 5 requirements. It's going in both diff & transfer. This side of the water it's called Triple QX but I expect it will be as good as the Amsoil equivalent in the States and Canada. Thanks for the help guys.:wink

1 - 4 of 4 Posts