Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple months on my 2006 Rav4 Limited, I've experienced the following:

KeyFob #1: Worked intermittently for about 5-6 weeks. Would have to get closer to the car or farther away from the car for it to work. Eventually stopped working altogether. I figured it was the battery in the remote, so I switched the battery and now it doesn't work at all.

I thought either the key was broken, or maybe a bad battery so I just switched to the second key...

KeyFob #2: Worked perfectly for about 3 weeks after switching from KeyFob #1, no range issues. Then just stopped working all of a sudden. I replaced the battery and now it doesn't work at all.

Any ideas or recommendations to try?

Thanks in advance for yourhelp

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
I have the same RAV4 but with no issues. The difference is years ago I ditched the stock key/fob housings for eBay ones with nice detent push-buttons instead of the foil or film type stock housings. They could be the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea. Really hoping to fix or figure out what I have though. These keys have worked well for almost 11 years.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Do your FOBs have an LED so you can see if the buttons are working? My Honda and new Toyota ones do.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Thanks for the idea. Really hoping to fix or figure out what I have though. These keys have worked well for almost 11 years.
Are you absolutely sure you didn't put the new batteries in upside down?

You probably have the original keys that had the membrane buttons. They were troublesome, so Toyota changed in 2008 to the hard plastic buttons like this:

What you may be able to do is buy a new key shell off Ebay, have the key cut to fit your 2006, and then transplant the electronic "guts" from your old key to the new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts