Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time when the car starts on park you can actually see the motor vibrate. It does it also from park, reverse, and drive till you get going and again when car stops. Sometimes it's silent, mild and other times it vibrates really bad you hear and feel it.
Is this the motor mount?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
From time to time when the car starts on park you can actually see the motor vibrate. It does it also from park, reverse, and drive till you get going and again when car stops. Sometimes it's silent, mild and other times it vibrates really bad you hear and feel it.
Is this the motor mount?

Very possibly, but I'd think a broken mount would be obvious all the time. How about an electrical problem...coil/s maybe?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer said 2 out of 4 mounts are busted and need replacement. One is the one by the transmission. They are charging $780. That's really steep huh?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also will the engine get messed up if you drive with bad motor mounts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The dealer said 2 out of 4 mounts are busted and need replacement. One is the one by the transmission. They are charging $780. That's really steep huh?

A quick check with Google showed the mounts(all 4) available on ebay for anywhere from $165 to $250. I don't know what is involved in swapping these out but it sounds like you need to get another estimate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A quick check with Google showed the mounts(all 4) available on ebay for anywhere from $165 to $250. I don't know what is involved in swapping these out but it sounds like you need to get another estimate.
The estimate is from the dealership. They are always more of course. The issue is it can't wait. We are driving 14 plus hours on Saturday. The 14 plus is just one way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The estimate is from the dealership. They are always more of course. The issue is it can't wait. We are driving 14 plus hours on Saturday. The 14 plus is just one way.

Well sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. Oh well at least it will be done. 14 hours darn that is just brutal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. Oh well at least it will be done. 14 hours darn that is just brutal.
I know. Now will driving that far cause any damage with damaged mounts? I cloud wait if it's ok.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
I know. Now will driving that far cause any damage with damaged mounts? I cloud wait if it's ok.
I had the same problem with a Nissan and ignored it. The constant movement of the engine caused the hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body to flex and crack. That caused it to leak and idle rough. Had to get a replacement hose and it was a $100 dealer only part. Couldn't get an inspection sticker without it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same problem with a Nissan and ignored it. The constant movement of the engine caused the hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body to flex and crack. That caused it to leak and idle rough. Had to get a replacement hose and it was a $100 dealer only part. Couldn't get an inspection sticker without it.
Yeah and with our car it rattles bad. Glad it's done

1 - 14 of 14 Posts