Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I regularly move items to/from festivals and am having a difficult time tying down heavier items for safety reasons. I was wondering how/what people use to tie down belongings in the trunk or even with the backseats folded down. I haven't been able to find enough secure points to hook/ratchet strap onto. The items i'm transporting may include tables, kegs of beer, handtruck, luggage, boxes.

TIA

·
Registered
143 Posts
I regularly move items to/from festivals and am having a difficult time tying down heavier items for safety reasons. I was wondering how/what people use to tie down belongings in the trunk or even with the backseats folded down. I haven't been able to find enough secure points to hook/ratchet strap onto. The items i'm transporting may include tables, kegs of beer, handtruck, luggage, boxes.

TIA

If you don't need any of these items while transporting them, you could cover them all together with something like a tarp, that's strong and attach the tarp to the tie down hooks in the back.
I guess the front of that tarp would have to be attached/bungeed to the steel sections holding the back seats to the floor?
Ott.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Yes, poorly secured heavy loads inside are a dangerous situation. You might consider having some secure anchors installed into the floor, and perhaps consider using the top rear seat belt anchors, too.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
When I have transported kegs before I simply set them in seat and strap the seat belt around them. Make sure that you pull it out all the way first to activate the lock back mech. I have also used buckled seat belts as an anchor point for ratcheting tie down straps. Just hook them mid strap.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How about a tarp with eyelets around the edges that you make into an omelette/taco shape:

It lays flat on the back floor starting at the rear, goes towards the front of the vehicle.

Put the cargo on top of the tarp near the rear, then fold the rest of the tarp (at the front) back over the top of the cargo, with eyelets on both the top and bottom half ends that are now both by the back door, then attach them to the rear tie-down points.

Sort of a big envelope or cocoon, the bottom can't slide forward and neither can the top.

To access the cargo, release the top portion eyelets from the tie-down points and fold the top part of the tarp back towards the front, peeling it away from the cargo.

Plus, the tarp protects the interior of the vehicle as well, as the cargo is surrounded by the tarp.

?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts