Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum and first post here.

I've done some searching around on the forum and found the majority suggesting to stay away from 06-08 RAV4s. Are there any other reason than burning oil issue? And it's not majority of the RAV4s that burn oil correct? Just seem to come up more often on these models than the 09+ models?

I came upon a nice 06 RAV4 sport model, 4 cyl 2wd. with 80k miles, it seems like a good deal. I wanted to see what your overall take on this model is.

Thank you, any suggestions, advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Actually it's probably a majority of the 06-08 models that burn heavy amounts of oil...Toyota decided to do engine rebuilds free of charge so there must have been a lot of them...I would avoid the 2.4 unless I got a crazy good deal...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it's probably a majority of the 06-08 models that burn heavy amounts of oil...Toyota decided to do engine rebuilds free of charge so there must have been a lot of them...I would avoid the 2.4 unless I got a crazy good deal...
Thank you rav4system. I guess I am steering away from this one then.

What about the previous gen? 05 Rav4? Any issues like this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have a 2007 awd base 4cyl.
bought it used last april w/ 102K miles
it doesnt burn oil,
there was a quality control issue with the heads in at least one of the assembly plants.
there were a lot of vehicles affected,
not willing to hand out a percentage of 2.4L engines affected
toyota saw a significant public relations issue and began testing and replacing the bad ones.
rumor has it that the oil burning thing becomes apparent around 75-90k miles,
my opinion, if you get into the 100s w/o an issue, you are probably good.
despite commentary to the contrary, Toyota makes good vehicles and generally stands behind them.
your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thank you rav4system. I guess I am steering away from this one then.

What about the previous gen? 05 Rav4? Any issues like this?
The RAV4s from model year 2004 through 2008 (used in later 4.2 and earlier 4.3 generations) which had 4-cylinder engines all used the same 2.4L engine in North America.

To avoid that engine and get a 4-cylinder RAV4, you'd either have to go with model year 2003 or older, or 2009 or newer.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
The oil burning if it does happen is much more a nuisance than a financial issue. If you are adverse to opening the hood an checking the level and maybe adding a quart every few times you gas up, go for a 2.5L, 2009-on.

But if you aren't afraid of what's under the hood, and it's a real steal deal, as I define as NADAguides Average Trade-in, and you otherwise like the car, go for it. Even better if it's a private sale and you can get an oil consumption history, you can have some confidence. Keep in mind that forums tend to overemphasize problems and you may have no oil burning issues at all.

Also, as you've probably noticed on various threads, some consider the Sport model's suspension nicely firm while others rate it just plain harsh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil burning if it does happen is much more a nuisance than a financial issue. If you are adverse to opening the hood an checking the level and maybe adding a quart every few times you gas up, go for a 2.5L, 2009-on.

But if you aren't afraid of what's under the hood, and it's a real steal deal, as I define as NADAguides Average Trade-in, and you otherwise like the car, go for it. Even better if it's a private sale and you can get an oil consumption history, you can have some confidence. Keep in mind that forums tend to overemphasize problems and you may have no oil burning issues at all.

Also, as you've probably noticed on various threads, some consider the Sport model's suspension nicely firm while others rate it just plain harsh.

Thank you for that information!

I always wondered what the different variants of the NADA guide classifications were. Is the "Avg-Trade-in" Considered a good base price for buying from private seller?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts