Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

my 2006 RAV4 with the 4 cylinder engine, AWD and 168,000 miles, has recently been pretty sluggish from a start and at low speeds (under about 20 mph). There's sort of a brief pause from hitting the gas and any action. At 30 mph and higher it does fine, same as always.

I don't know much about cars but where would I start with solving a problem like this? Fuel system cleaner? I had a full service at 150k miles so the air filters, transmission, coolant are all in good shape. oil change every 4000 miles or so and I add about 1 quart of motorcraft synthetic oil every 1000 miles because this thing keeps burning oil.

thank you

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
hello,

my 2006 RAV4 with the 4 cylinder engine, AWD and 168,000 miles, has recently been pretty sluggish from a start and at low speeds (under about 20 mph). There's sort of a brief pause from hitting the gas and any action. At 30 mph and higher it does fine, same as always.

I don't know much about cars but where would I start with solving a problem like this? Fuel system cleaner? I had a full service at 150k miles so the air filters, transmission, coolant are all in good shape. oil change every 4000 miles or so and I add about 1 quart of motorcraft synthetic oil every 1000 miles because this thing keeps burning oil.

thank you
Did this start soon after you had that 150k service? If so, perhaps they did something. If not, then I would say it's possible the oil burning issue could be affecting some of the downstream sensors. I'm not an expert on such things, but I'm sure some will chime in!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, not really, it was thousands of miles later.

Also at the 150k service I replaced the water pump, serp belt, alternator and tensioner. And I did the front wheel bearings about the same time. I'd like to get a little pep back in this vehicle so I can get it to 200k or more, since I just spent $2000 on all that work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I took the vehicle in to test for oil burning but the dealer said it didn't burn enough for them to fix the problem. Yet here I am putting in a quart every 1000 miles. Does this sound like an acceptable burn rate? I know I can take the vehicle in again and run the test again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi,

I took the vehicle in to test for oil burning but the dealer said it didn't burn enough for them to fix the problem. Yet here I am putting in a quart every 1000 miles. Does this sound like an acceptable burn rate? I know I can take the vehicle in again and run the test again.
Absolutely NOT. I'm not sure their parameters for consumption, but that is way beyond normal consumption. Using that amount of oil, I'd guess the plugs could be getting oil fouled.

After reading the repair TSB the test is 1 quart used in 1200 miles and you get the repair under warranty. That is a pretty high limit they give, but still sounds like you should have tested again. And run it a bit hard when you are under the test to help burn oil and get the free rebuild.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Hi,

I recall that in my Owner's Manual Toyota claims that as long as the engine isn't burning more that one quart each 1000 miles it is OK. For my mind that is rubbish! I've never had an Asian nameplate vehicle that used any measurable amount of oil between changes (usually 5000 mile intervals). Maybe if you can be adamant enough with the dealer they will be persuaded to have the rebuild done. If not, perhaps another dealer will.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Unfortunately, your 2006 is now beyond the time limit for the testing and rebuild under the enhanced warranty. I think it's now covered only 10 years from first date in service and less than 150k miles.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/177417-start-oil-consumption-test-my-2007-rav4-2az-fe-today-per-ze7-extended-campaign-22.html#post2269186

There were reports of a lot of dealers mis-handling the tests. You should have re-tested 6 months after the first one if you knew you were burning that much--at a different dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well that would really blow. My original test was within both years and miles but now I'd be out. I don't think I was burning quite this much then, but it was definitely 1-2 quarts low at a 3000-5000 mile oil change. It does seem worse though. I'm taking it back to the same dealer so they'll have the history and if I'm over the limit now maybe they'll work with me. It's due for an oil change anyway so I guess it's not going to kill me to have it done there.

Beyond the oil burning, any other thoughts on the sluggishness?

·
Registered
428 Posts
well that would really blow. My original test was within both years and miles but now I'd be out. I don't think I was burning quite this much then, but it was definitely 1-2 quarts low at a 3000-5000 mile oil change. It does seem worse though. I'm taking it back to the same dealer so they'll have the history and if I'm over the limit now maybe they'll work with me. It's due for an oil change anyway so I guess it's not going to kill me to have it done there.

Beyond the oil burning, any other thoughts on the sluggishness?
As I stated above. Oil fouled spark plugs, and also plugged catalytic converter is a good place to start or have checked.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
PCV valve is easy access on that engine also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still stuck on this problem, and thinking of doing the following (currently have 181k miles):

Replacing spark plugs (last done 120k)
Cleaning MAF sensor
Cleaning throttle body

Any additional thoughts?

How often should spark plugs be changed in an oil burner? The manual only says to change at 120k and does not say beyond that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check all of your vacuum lines and connections. A few years ago, on a totally different vehicle, I found a vacuum line that had collapsed in on itself. It went to some device that retarded the spark advance. Some emissions device. Symptoms were the same as you are describing and I had beat my head against the wall for over a year trying find the problem. When I replaced the vacuum tubing the truck ran like new.

Oh yeah, I would also add to check all of the electrical connections to all devices under the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts