Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I don't know if this question is asked before or not but I couldn't find any answer through searching the site so I am asking here and hopefully someone will give me the advice I need.

My 2006 Sports v6 Rav4 has 18 wheels I think, lol. I am trying to change them since a lot of paint has chipped off the wheels due to salt on the roads in winter times. Anyways I found some 2013 factory sports v6 Rav4 wheels that are taken off the guys car to put after market wheels so he is selling the OEM ones. I want to buy them but I wanna make certain I can use these on my 2006 Rav4 or not. These 2013's comes equipped with it's OEM TPMS as well. If anyone knows these works with my older Rav4 please let me know before I fork out cash. Mine is silver color ones but these used ones are grey which I like.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Should work since all RAV4 06-15 wheels have the same spec in term of bolt pattern (5 - 114.3), thread (12 x1.50) and hex (21mm). Based on this.
As for the TPMS you need to program this into your system with Techstream I believe but I don't know they are even compatible with your vehicle.

·
Registered
641 Posts
First of all there is no such thing as a 2013 V6 Sport as 2012 was the last year with the V6 option. Only 4-cyl. engine is available from 2013 model onward.

Secondly, only '09-'12 V6-Sport model with the Sport Appearance Package (SAP) has TPMS sensor mounted on the 18" grey alloy rim. The SAP model does not have a spare wheel mounted on the rear door or inside. It uses run-flat tires so the tire air pressure must be monitored by TPMS computer unique to this model in Canada. There is no such TPMS computer in any Canadian Rav4 model except for the V6 Sport - SAP. The wheel sensor can be swapped with regular valve stem for the non-SAP model.

Thirdly, if your original factory wheels are 18" then the new 18" Rav4 wheels should interchange without issue.

If you don't want the TPMS wheel sensors, PM or email me and we'll discuss.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owner says they came off a 2013 Sports model with TPMS sensors on them. They are identical to what I have in my 2006 except these ones are grey. So you are saying if I buy these they won't work with my 2006 model TPMS? Are they suppose to interchange with the computer system. By the way my 2006 model is originally Japan made not North American and was purchased in States before bringing it over to Canada.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Even if made in Japan, the Canadian Spec RAV4 will not have TPMS unless it is an SAP model.
You can still keep the TPMS on the wheels but they will be useless. You could also take them out and sell them and replace with regular valves.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The owner says they came off a 2013 Sports model with TPMS sensors on them. They are identical to what I have in my 2006 except these ones are grey. So you are saying if I buy these they won't work with my 2006 model TPMS? Are they suppose to interchange with the computer system. By the way my 2006 model is originally Japan made not North American and was purchased in States before bringing it over to Canada.
From Wiki: "The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007. Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with a TPMS. For N1 vehicles, TPMS are not mandatory, but if a TPMS is fitted, it must comply with the regulation."

If you '06 Rav4 Sport is an American car, then it's possible that it's equipped with TPMS. Have you ever had a dash warning light glows from low tire pressure in all the years you owned it? Do you currently have TPMS sensor mounted in each of the five wheel? The sensor is designed to set a warning once the tire pressure drops below 26 psi, I believed.

The new wheel sensor should be compatible with the old TPMS system. It needs each electronic serial# to be registered to the vehicle TPMS system via a dealer tool. Just mounting 4 new sensors will get you a dash warning light until the new sensors are registered.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There is not a "sports" model at all...2006-2012 there was a "sport" model...also if the wheels look similar to yours, but a darker gray then it is from a 2009-2012 model and they will fit yours just fine...also if your current valve stems are rubber you do not have tpms...if they are metal then you do and the new ones can be programmed to work...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From Wiki: "The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007. Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with a TPMS. For N1 vehicles, TPMS are not mandatory, but if a TPMS is fitted, it must comply with the regulation."

If you '06 Rav4 Sport is an American car, then it's possible that it's equipped with TPMS. Have you ever had a dash warning light glows from low tire pressure in all the years you owned it? Do you currently have TPMS sensor mounted in each of the five wheel? The sensor is designed to set a warning once the tire pressure drops below 26 psi, I believed.

The new wheel sensor should be compatible with the old TPMS system. It needs each electronic serial# to be registered to the vehicle TPMS system via a dealer tool. Just mounting 4 new sensors will get you a dash warning light until the new sensors are registered.
Yes it does have TPMS and dealer told me already that it does and yes warning light goes off when the tire pressure goes down. Thanks for your informative reply. Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to add to the mix. My friends 2008 rav 4 sport with v6 has tpms on all 5 wheels....yes including the spare. He bought it brand new in vancouver canada. Mine is a 2011 rav4 sport with 4 cyclinders. ...and I do not have tpms. So yes some does come equipped with tpms. I was very disappointed my 2011 didn't have it as my friend told me his had it must be because his car had the v6 and mine being a 4cycl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts