Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here...just brought home an Everglade Metallic Limited 4x2 w/ moonroof, side curtain airbags, JBL radio, and upgraded alarm over the weekend. There's so much room! :D

Anyway, was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the factory radio. I need to get behind there so that I can hook up my XM receiver. It's currently using the built in FM modulator but being in San Jose, there is just no open frequency.

I was able to remove the panels by the cupholders and shifter (so that I could run the XM antenna) but couldn't figure out the rest.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 2006 Rav4's are so new that I doubt that you will find anyone who has done this yet. I suggest that you go to http://techinfo.toyota.com and spend $10 to look at the shop manual. There are still no guarantees that the information that you need is there this early in the game but I think that it's your best bet.

J

·
0 Posts
How come you're not using the Aux input instead of the modulator?
Are you trying to bypass the AUX input for a cleaner look?

PS: Can you post a some pictures of your new ride?
Thats one of the colors I'm interested in and haven't seen any good pictures of it yet.
Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, exactly that...for a cleaner look. Right now I'm using the Belkin TuneDock (cupholder mount) to mount the radio (SkyFi2) and if I were to run a cable to the aux input it wouldn't look nice. Plus, I'm using the 12V socket in the dash to power the xm radio so I lose that socket for other devices. If I can get behind the radio, I can use the direct FM modulator for better signal and also wire up separate power.

I'll take a pic of the RAV4 either tomorrow or Wednesday if I can get off work early enough so that there's still sunlight. It's a very nice color! We've received a lot of compliments on it. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry to get off topic but would you mind sharing your purchase price? I'm interested in the exact configuration minus the moonroof. Looking forward to the pics also.. Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
milagro said:
Sorry to get off topic but would you mind sharing your purchase price? I'm interested in the exact configuration minus the moonroof. Looking forward to the pics also.. Congrats on the new ride!
$24,669 including destination.
Again, that's with the JBL stereo, moonroof, side curtain airbags, VIP RS3200 Plus security, Wheel Locks, and Carpeted floor mats.

I have no idea if that's a good price or not (it's below MSRP though). According to Edmunds, TMV price is $24,162 but that's without security, wheel locks, and floor mats. KBB price is $24,381 without the 3 extra options.

My boss referred me to the salesman (he's good friends with his father-in-law) so I kinda felt obligated to get from him. The sales guy said that in the Bay Area, the new RAV4s are selling at close to MSRP because it's so new.

M

·
0 Posts
kuj said:
$24,669 including destination.
Again, that's with the JBL stereo, moonroof, side curtain airbags, VIP RS3200 Plus security, Wheel Locks, and Carpeted floor mats.
To me that sounds like a pretty good deal. For the same model without moonroof but with the leather package I've been quoted about $1000 more than that...but haven't actively started to negotiate yet...still debating on waiting to try out the v6.

The car looks great! Thanks for posting the pic!

J

·
0 Posts
kuj said:
Yep, exactly that...for a cleaner look. Right now I'm using the Belkin TuneDock (cupholder mount) to mount the radio (SkyFi2) and if I were to run a cable to the aux input it wouldn't look nice. Plus, I'm using the 12V socket in the dash to power the xm radio so I lose that socket for other devices. If I can get behind the radio, I can use the direct FM modulator for better signal and also wire up separate power.

I'll take a pic of the RAV4 either tomorrow or Wednesday if I can get off work early enough so that there's still sunlight. It's a very nice color! We've received a lot of compliments on it. :D
I hope someone can help you with the hook up but since its so new you may have to wait a little bit. Please keep us posted on how you end up doing it. BTW, good choice of receiver. I have a Skyfi also.

But thanks for going thru the trouble of posting pics for us.
Thats a mighty pretty ride you got there. That color looks as good as I had hoped it would. Great pictures!

Take care,
Ken

J

·
0 Posts
Dude,

NICE WORK on that hook up. Very clean.. I like how you hid the wires for the ant hookup (and I like its location as well on the outside).

Car looks great! Let us know if you have luck getting behind the stereo (as some of us would probably like to do similar things with iPods etc).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Had experience on running the antenna wire on our Civic except it was on the rear window. Real easy to do. I just used a credit card to get under the rubber seal. Right now, the built-in FM modulator is working fine so I'm in no rush.

Once I have instructions on removing the stereo, I'll be redoing it. Hopefully there will also be a bracket that I can use to mount it instead of using the cup holder thing.

K

·
0 Posts
What might be cool is if you can use the little storage area behind the cupholders. You could run your wires through it and mount it in the opening. Not sure how easy it would be to get to the controls though, especially if you have cups in the holders.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Kuj can you tell me which way you went after passing the wire under the windshield molding?. Did you go under the hood through one of the rubbers in the firewall to get inside or did you pass it at the bottom of the roof post through the inside fender and door frame?. I'm presently trying to find a way to install my Garmin gps antenna and i really like the way you installed your satelite one. The only problem is the manufacturer does'nt leave too long of wire on the antenna so i'm limited.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rav4adventurer said:
Kuj can you tell me which way you went after passing the wire under the windshield molding?. Did you go under the hood through one of the rubbers in the firewall to get inside or did you pass it at the bottom of the roof post through the inside fender and door frame?. I'm presently trying to find a way to install my Garmin gps antenna and i really like the way you installed your satelite one. The only problem is the manufacturer does'nt leave too long of wire on the antenna so i'm limited.
I passed mine through the inside fender and door frame, then through the door rubber boot. Wasn't easy going through the boot because of the numerous amount of wires in the way.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks! :). Awaiting your answer i thought to look into it this afternoon and tried to find a rubber boot in the firewall but they are very hard of acces so i decided to pass it by the fender also. I debated to pass it through the rubber in the door frame with the electric door componant wires but thought it would be too tight. Since you tried it and it worked i'm going to pass the wire another day through the boot. Today it was pouring rain here and it was cold to work around the door frame.

I was suprised how much space is under the windshoild molding. The antenna wire fit snug under it and the molding took well it's place after.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a pic. I just ran it down the rubber molding down to the kick panel.

·
Registered
394 Posts
kuj said:
Here's a pic. I just ran it down the rubber molding down to the kick panel.

It's VERY easy to run the wire all the way into the fender, then comes in right behind the door rubber boot. The antenna wire cannot be seen at all & the door is not pinching the wire when it closes.

Only thing is...you just have to make sure to wire tie the antenna wire in such a way that the hood doesn't pinch the wire when it closes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts