Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2.4 cyl engine has had a somewhat rocky reliability history since 2002 depending on the country of manufacture and vehicule application.
In this generation of rav4s these engines have been plagued with high to very high oil consumption issues. The problem has been found to be a design issue where piston rings are too loose in their clearance and some PCV crankcase ventilation problems. In many countries Toyota has given extra warranties , but only after class action lawsuits, both of which they don't publicize. As a whole Toyota has adopted a " deny till we die " attitude about this problem so we will focus on remedies. Toyota recommends 5w20 grade motor oil to get supposed fuel economy but it is too thin for this engine and in a lot of cases will simply burn it much faster . When we bought ours i rapidly switched it to 5W30 after 20 thousand miles because of higher than average oil consumption. Initially i thought it might go away after a certain "break in" period but it did'nt. Since then it has run only on 5W30 with no problems whatsoever and has even made this somewhat noisy engine quieter. Ours now has 150 thousand miles and averages a quart or less to be added between oil changes.
***Oil change schedule: disregard the original recommendation and do them faster or sooner. Stick to a 3000 mile schedule. Many of you may have noticed that the oil in these engines gets darker faster , another reason to change it more often. This is the result of the piston ring problems and weak internal ventilation crankcase breathing. In regards to this some oil consumption may be the result of a clogged or defective PVC valve. Clean it or change it and monitor oil consumption. Do NOT switch to a synthetic motor oil if you have consumption issues , this or any other engine that "burns"oil will only burn or take more oil as the slipperier synthetic gets past the piston rings easier.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Jeff, it is the 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine that has the oil consumption problem. Starting in the 2009 model year, Toyota changed to the 2.5L 2AR-FE and continue to use that engine to this day. The 2.5L is a completely new design having VVT-i on both intake and exhaust valves. The 2.4L 2AZ was only used from 2004-2008 in the RAV4. Here is an excellent overview of the newer 2.5L 2AR:

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/2AR-FE.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good. I tend to see older vehicules in the shop as newer ones tend to go to dealers more often , but i did notice that upwards of 2010 there were less problems , but still some issues remaining depending on country of engine manufacture. Thanks for the link

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 2.4 cyl engine has had a somewhat rocky reliability history since 2002 depending on the country of manufacture and vehicule application.
Does it make a difference that my 2008 Rav4 (2.4l) was produced in Japan? It burns some oil, but is limited to only 1 qt every 2500 mi. I've never been clear about how many cars this affects. Is it all Toyotas with the 2.4 or jsut some of them. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
In 2008 they were all produced in Japan. The Camry with that engine has the same problems.

Reactions: iowa530

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's also worth noting that (as I understand things) the 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine with the oil burning problem was used in the 2004 and 2005 model year RAV4s but those years DID NOT have the oil burning problem.

It was only in the 2006-2008 model year RAV4s that the 2.4L 2AZ-FE was known to sometimes be a real oil burner.

Reactions: iowa530
1 - 6 of 6 Posts