Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant recall if I have touched the fuel filter...ive had it for 40k miles...now has 103K and runs great except my VCS light and traction light and engine light all came on the other day...might be bad gas cap...

im waiting for my new scanner to arrive so I will address that stuff...

what I am wanting to do is replace the plugs while I have some holiday time off and its not cold yet.

I was just thinking there are some things that need to be replaced at 100K usually..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was looking through the scheduled maintenance and in mine it says replace timing belt @ 160,000km, which was quite confusing because it has a chain. I have had that pesky vsc, engine, 4wd light coming on frequently lately; every time except for one it was the gas cap. I've been thinking of getting a scanner as well; which one did you get? And what kind of info does it give? I've heard some people get a bit of transmission delay or hard shifts at the top, I used synthetic tranny fluid and it helped a lot in the cold.

I've got the same question as you! cause I'm in the same ballpark as you for kms

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Sorry but "going ahead and doing something" is one of my pet peeves. Why not just do it?

Reminds me of the time my wife was guiding me back to hitch up one if my trailers. She said, "go ahead and back up." I asked, "How can I do that?"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking through the scheduled maintenance and in mine it says replace timing belt @ 160,000km, which was quite confusing because it has a chain. I have had that pesky vsc, engine, 4wd light coming on frequently lately; every time except for one it was the gas cap. I've been thinking of getting a scanner as well; which one did you get? And what kind of info does it give? I've heard some people get a bit of transmission delay or hard shifts at the top, I used synthetic tranny fluid and it helped a lot in the cold.

I've got the same question as you! cause I'm in the same ballpark as you for kms

I was looking at a ACTRON but then found a bluetooth scanner called BLUE DRIVER that claims to be a professional scanner. You download APP to your phone and it gives real time data and codes. I got it instead cause it was supposed to do as much as the $200 ACTRON. I get it today...will update what it tells me the codes are...

ive never had a code until just this week and it was right after I got gas ..like seconds later..so I hope its just the gas cap gone bad.

as for the other part of the question.

I know the plugs are good for 100K so I have been waiting on that. I am considering replacing the coils while I have the top off and can access them. I dont want to do it twice.

I was just looking for advice more or less on anything else at 100K ...Oxygen sensor might be bad. I will hopefully know soon as the code scanner arrives.

I didnt bother going to local parts house for a scan cause they dont know what they are doing and I am not sure their scanner will pick up the codes for the toyota stuff...I know you have to have a good scanner to get to the ABS and SRS stuff...

the Blue Driver is supposedly made in USA by USA engineers. better be a good one as its 2x more than all the other bluetooth scanners .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts