Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help fellow Toyota owner in this annoying problem

Car:
2007 RAV4 2.2 D-CAT
Mileage 160000km

Problem:
Weird chirring(?) noise when car is moving, when I am not pressing the clutch. Especially when motor braking on low gears (00.57)

Done so far:
Transmission oil change, with high quality oil.
Coolant pump (water pump) change with original Toyota parts
Brake pad change w original Toyota parts

I know nothing about cars and would be delighted to know what is wrong with my Toyota so that service companies do not charge me for any more unnecessary jobs.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Where are you located? According to the information which you have provided you have a diesel RAV. This forum has members from various countries but is primarily North America - based and diesel RAVs are not available in North America. You might receive more assistance by subscribing to one of the Europe -based RAV forums, such as: Welcome to the UKs Premier RAV4 and SUV club There are others as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Where are you located? According to the information which you have provided you have a diesel RAV. This forum has members from various countries but is primarily North America - based and diesel RAVs are not available in North America. You might receive more assistance by subscribing to one of the Europe -based RAV forums, such as: Welcome to the UKs Premier RAV4 and SUV club There are others as well.
Looks like from Finland. :thumbs_up:
Transmission, dual mass flywheel, propeller shaft? To my knowledge Dmf should make noise all time when engine is running, and there is no tension to propeller shaft while engine braking (only via front wheels)
I have great doubt it is engine related so you could give here a try in 1st gen forum?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi nollawille,

have you managed to find what was wrong with your Rav and managed to fix it.
Mine started to sond same (nos as loud yet).
Or If anyone hase some info.

Car is same D-CAT only it has counted cca290000 km.

Haven't checked EU forums yet. They do not have search as good as here.

Regards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.

Searched the video on youtube and foud the reason in coments.
Posting here as it might help someone.
6 gear was missing some teeth. :surprise
Tried to post link to youtube video but am not allowed to as I have to few posts.
You can follow initial post.

Haven't checked my RAV yet. When I do, I'll update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.

Update....

Had my car checked and had to replace gearbox.

Third gear was missing some teeth. As I spoke to mechanic he said that the gear probably loosened a bit and got damaged.
He also said that there was a probably a distinct noise that could warn me about this. Thinking back, there was this noise but was present all the time since I had the car (so for about 150000 km) and probably the previous owner broke this.
I was advised to get a used gearbox somewhere as repair would be too expensive.
If I am allowed and find the pictures I'll attach some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts