Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I removed and cleaned the throttle body on our 07 Rav4 6 cylinder, as I have done on all our (older) vehicles. It has 93K miles on it. The TB wasn't as dirty as I expected. But I cleaned it with TB cleaner, paper towels, and a tooth brush. Two things different I noticed are that the buttery fly valve is controlled by a servo motor, and not the traditional cable. And, there is no IAC, or temperature controlled mechanical valve that adjusts idle air flow. It all seems to be controlled by the computer telling the air valve how far to open. After re-assembly the car now idles much faster. Initially around 1800 rpm but after warming up around 1500. Where maybe 800 before servicing it. I am assuming the computer will gradually adjust this as it learns the new conditions of the clean TB which must allow slightly more air flow in the idle position now that the built up dirt has been removed. Am I on target here, or is there something else going on I need to be aware of??

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, check for any hoses or connectors you may have forgotten when re-assembling.
I just did a similar thing to my Corolla engine. I changed the intake manifold gasket and while it was off , I cleaned my throttle body and electrical connectors.. I also noticed that I could see my valves through the manifold now ,so I reached in and rubbed the soot off the chamber walls. After re-assembly, I had the dreaded "higher than normal" idle. It lasted for about 30 mins of a few short trips of driving. I was worried I had forgotten something too. On the way home when I decided I was going to take it apart again, the idle returned to normal. Give it a day to re-adjust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the wife ran all around town running errands today and by the time she got back home everything seems to be back to normal. Idling around 600 or so now. I guess I was right, it just needed to relearn things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts