Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, really need help with this one since I have the part on order that I was suggested. A coworker who works on cars in his second job mentioned shooting a can of freon into my system at first but when i hooked up the can it showed an alert pressure warning. I wasnt getting any cold air until I hit 80mph or so which made me question his diagnosis of the compressor not functioning properly since it was obviously getting pressure to the freon somehow. Now randomly, my car is shooting ice cold air again (even at idle) after a long trip to another city. It was doing this before where it would be ice cold for a few days then go a few weeks blowing nothing unless i was moving fast. Any ideas of what I can check before I go in and stick a brand new compressor in there for $900 with labor? Its also worth mentioning that during the times that it wasn't blowing cold at idle I don't recall hearing the fan turn on loudly and now its functioning again at idle and I can noticeably hear the fan turn on.

If you need more information let me know and I will provide and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hey guys, really need help with this one since I have the part on order that I was suggested. A coworker who works on cars in his second job mentioned shooting a can of freon into my system at first but when i hooked up the can it showed an alert pressure warning. I wasnt getting any cold air until I hit 80mph or so which made me question his diagnosis of the compressor not functioning properly since it was obviously getting pressure to the freon somehow. Now randomly, my car is shooting ice cold air again (even at idle) after a long trip to another city. It was doing this before where it would be ice cold for a few days then go a few weeks blowing nothing unless i was moving fast. Any ideas of what I can check before I go in and stick a brand new compressor in there for $900 with labor? Its also worth mentioning that during the times that it wasn't blowing cold at idle I don't recall hearing the fan turn on loudly and now its functioning again at idle and I can noticeably hear the fan turn on.

If you need more information let me know and I will provide and thanks in advance!
Couple of things: I'm no expert on A/Cs, but I wouldn't rely on a "coworker etc" for advice about a complicated and expensive system.
It sounds to me like you might have a problem with the fan, not necessarily the A/C system itself.
IMO, I would find an auto air conditioning repair shop in your area and have the problem diagnosed properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer to self diagnose. I know AC is a tricky one but I have seen this as an issue on several forums, just nobody has followed up on their fix. I was told compressor but in all honesty if im not getting cold air no issues even at idle a broken compressor is completely ruled out in my book. Which leads me to think the fan had an issue but doesnt explain how all of the sudden it now works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not every time does the compressor need changed. Sometimes you can add oil to it, or replace the oil. Have you checked connections? Like raveenuer said, could be a fan issue if nothing is blowing. There are a few valves and switches in an A/C system. Also the system is filled after vacuumed. Just a quick bit on that. If the lines are vacuumed say to a negative 2 lbs but the system runs a total of 2 pounds positive you end up with 4 lbs total, if you have a leak the first to go is your negative pounds and you can only keep 2 pounds in the system now, since you cannot put enough pressure to force tbe negative 2 pounds back. The wives 2007 matrix ac is not so cold this year, luckily we are giving it to daughter. But seriously i will fix the ac, sometime.or have it fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh yeah, the alert may be false. It is based on the ambient temp. Best to use an adjustable dial that can be set to proper temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts