Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my 2007 Rav 4 4cy was sitting idle so I could pass it down to my son, a family of rats moved in and chewed up a wiring harness on the drivers side, along with a lot of the firewall insulation from the interior of the hood panel. Can anyone tell me what parts I need to buy? One end looked straightforward, but the other end looks like it goes to the instrument panel and steering wheel. I'm handy, but no expert, and I wonder if this can be handled DIY style. I've fixed some above average issues on lots of vehicles following youtube videos and willing to give it a shot. Thanks! Photos attached...

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
It looks like that rat family mulated your wiring harness real good. The wiring harness is expensive new so buying a used one to fix your car is the way I would go. Since the wires are in pieces I am not sure if you can figured how to connect it together. Best to disconnect the battery if you have not done so just to make sure you don't do more damage. Clean things up and take a picture so you know which wires you need and where to connect them. Also once you have things fixed make sure you spray something to repel the rats and discourage them from nesting in your engine bay. Good luck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Off the cuff I’m with DL175, but given how long the rats had been there, including their waste, you should also add one more thing to your list - a different 2007 RAV4. You’ll need to get rid of their scent as best you can to avoid a repeat of this - I wish you luck and lots of detergent! Seriously, strong chemicals will be necessary to get rid of the smell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All due respect to the early responses, I still don't have a part ID for how to fix this. I'll go through and make sure the rodent problem is dealt with, but I need to get it running and am looking for some help on how to get that going. I'm working on the rodent issue now via trapping. If I could get some help on this wiring harness to replace that would be so helpful! Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
All due respect to the early responses, I still don't have a part ID for how to fix this. I'll go through and make sure the rodent problem is dealt with, but I need to get it running and am looking for some help on how to get that going. I'm working on the rodent issue now via trapping. If I could get some help on this wiring harness to replace that would be so helpful! Thanks
Was the damage confined to the right side of the engine bay? I’ll admit I’ve never had a need to look very closely at the harness and its routing to see where it all connects. Your best bet is to call a local wrecker to see if they have a replacement harness for your truck. This one does appear to run into the fuse box on the left side, correct? That should be enough to start the search. There are a number of Toyota parts diagrams available on the forum, or links to same. Use the advanced search within the 4.3 boards and you may hit paydirt. Some have had luck with a Google search too, but that’s less likely. If it were me (and could very well be but my rat just drowned in the neighbour’s pool last night) I’d head to the scrap yard and talk with the guys at the counter - they can often pull up the diagram right there and can search their availability right away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, damage is only to drivers side of engine bay from what I can tell. I'm leaning on the knowledge base of the Rav 4 site to help me dial in on the part for this Rav 4 without throwing darts by employing wrecker yards, etc. Really thought I was in the right place.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,613 Posts
That harness plugs into your ECM, which is the module next to the fuse box. Normally if it were just a few broken wires, I would splice into the existing wires, but there doesn't seem to be much slack to work with. And if the splices aren't done just right, they will cause problems down the road. A new harness is the only way to fix this properly. I would look into filing a comprehensive claim with my insurance company.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
A new engine wiring harness is over $3000. A used one from Ebay is around $227. Part # 82121-42A20 for 4 cylinder. By the way the engine wiring harness is one big piece with lots of branches of wires.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
If JuneBug's suggestion regarding insurance doesn't work it may be possible to find a used harness at an auto salvage yard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts