Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan will run in all speeds, every once in a while speed 3 cuts off completely, I can turn it to 4, or 2, and then back to 3 and it will engage. Sometimes it will cut back out, other times it won't. I am more curious than anything what people think this could be. Could it be a easier fix than I imagine? Not something I want to dump a ton of money in, but if within reason, I'm up for a challenge.

Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
You have a resistor pack that is used to vary the speed of the blower. There are 3 resistors which are actually coils of wire. The 4th speed has no resistor coil--it is a direct connection to the blower motor, so you get full speed. Assuming the rotary switch is OK, I would think the coil for the 3rd speed has a bad connection. The resistor pack can be accessed under the dash on the blower housing. I've heard it's easy to remove and replace.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
JuneBug's check is worth a try because it's easy, but I'm thinking that both the lowest speeds run power thru the speed 3 resistor so it can't be bad if 1 & 2 work. That means a switch problem. Still it could be a burned connection at the resistor block since it gets the hottest on 3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts