Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone!
Is it reasonable to consider buying a 2007 with 216K miles (in excellent condition for $4,000), hoping it will not become a disaster over the next few years? It's been "certified" and very well maintained, with no major problems; always garaged (in Florida) and used primarily for cross country trips, and short trips around town.

Today it drove like a dream, no obvious noises or issues, and didn't pull any error codes (per AutoZone). I will be scouring the maintenance records tomorrow, and driving it again with a friend (extra ears/eyes).

We owned many very high-mileage Toyotas in the 70-90's... but none of the newer gen models, so your "life expectancy" thoughts are very much appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Welcome! That year 2.4L I4 engine was a notorious oil burner and will continue to be so unless the Toyota engine rebuild fix was done. Suggest obtaining the vehicle's VIN, going to www.toyotaowners.com and registering, and any services and work done by Toyota dealers along with DIY - type owner entries will be available. Otherwise many RAV4 owners with high mileage vehicles report that they still run fine, but obviously as a vehicle ages the possibility for problems including wear increases. Price seems OK if the RAV4 is in the condition which you have reported. Good luck.

Reactions: Watergirl

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suggest you check the oil deep stick on every fill up. I got the same vehicle as your with 196k (I-4 2007 Limited infamous 2AZ-FE) and it burns a quart of oil on every 700-800 miles. It has been burning in the last 10 years and it's just getting worse. It's just not worth it to rebuild with a new ring and piston so I am going to add oil and keep going until it dies.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Even if the engine was rebuilt by Toyota it can burn oil after you accumulate enough mileage. Read this thread where Toyota rebuilt their engine at 90,000 and the problem reappeared again at 160,000 miles. This is because the engine design was just bad and that the rebuilt engine offered by Toyota was just to say they did something about it. Well in 2009 Toyota came out with the 2.5L engine that elimated the high oil consumption problem. If you really wanted something that would give you less problems then a 2009 or newer model would be a better choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Very useful site that shows the trends.

I would point out that not all of the engines burned oil, but it was very common. I owned a Maxima that would eat a qt of oil every 3,000 miles. It was so much fun to drive (270hp, 6 speed manual) I lived with it.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
The Toyota fix for the 2.4L engine including those used in the 2007 RAV4 involved a piston redesign, which eliminated a notch in the OEM pistons which apparently was allowing excess oil to be splashed and swept onto the oil control ring. Most reports on this forum from owners who have had the Toyota fix done have said that the heavy oil consumption problem was eliminated with the engine rebuild.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Here's a YT video explaining what was changed, but the poster didn't think it actually solved the problem, more of a band-aid until the 2.5L came out.
Don't believe everything which is posted on YT.After and even before that link was posed on RAV4World others who actually owned affected vehicles and who had the Toyota engine fix done said that it has resolved the oil consumption problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! That year 2.4L I4 engine was a notorious oil burner and will continue to be so unless the Toyota engine rebuild fix was done. Suggest obtaining the vehicle's VIN, going to www.toyotaowners.com and registering, and any services and work done by Toyota dealers along with DIY - type owner entries will be available. Otherwise many RAV4 owners with high mileage vehicles report that they still run fine, but obviously as a vehicle ages the possibility for problems including wear increases. Price seems OK if the RAV4 is in the condition which you have reported. Good luck.
Thanks Jim... for the link, thoughts & suggestions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suggest you check the oil deep stick on every fill up. I got the same vehicle as your with 196k (I-4 2007 Limited infamous 2AZ-FE) and it burns a quart of oil on every 700-800 miles. It has been burning in the last 10 years and it's just getting worse. It's just not worth it to rebuild with a new ring and piston so I am going to add oil and keep going until it dies.
Thanks! Best wishes for you & your Toy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even if the engine was rebuilt by Toyota it can burn oil after you accumulate enough mileage. Read this thread where Toyota rebuilt their engine at 90,000 and the problem reappeared again at 160,000 miles. This is because the engine design was just bad and that the rebuilt engine offered by Toyota was just to say they did something about it. Well in 2009 Toyota came out with the 2.5L engine that elimated the high oil consumption problem. If you really wanted something that would give you less problems then a 2009 or newer model would be a better choice.
Thanks so much for the references, tips & recommendations; they're very helpful and appreciated indeed!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Very useful site that shows the trends.

I would point out that not all of the engines burned oil, but it was very common. I owned a Maxima that would eat a qt of oil every 3,000 miles. It was so much fun to drive (270hp, 6 speed manual) I lived with it.
Thanks for the link & info; I'm reading thru them now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aloha everyone!
Is it reasonable to consider buying a 2007 with 216K miles (in excellent condition for $4,000), hoping it will not become a disaster over the next few years? It's been "certified" and very well maintained, with no major problems; always garaged (in Florida) and used primarily for cross country trips, and short trips around town.

Today it drove like a dream, no obvious noises or issues, and didn't pull any error codes (per AutoZone). I will be scouring the maintenance records tomorrow, and driving it again with a friend (extra ears/eyes).

We owned many very high-mileage Toyotas in the 70-90's... but none of the newer gen models, so your "life expectancy" thoughts are very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Thanks everyone for all info, links etc.. A Great Welcome that is helping me immensely!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts