Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 RAV4 has 190k miles and it drives great but it burns oil like crazy. I am aware it's mainly a faulty piston/ring (oil clogged up at the small piston holes) design and it's not worth it to do a piston job for this vehicle. Currently, I am using 5w-20 full synthetic. Would seafoam or other oil additive helps reduce oil consumption?

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
It couldn't hurt but it is highly unlikely that it would reduce consumption at all. The problem is mechanical not carbon build up. You might reduce it slightly by going to a higher viscosity oil such as 5W30 or 10W30 High Mileage depending on your climate. Personally I would not waste the money on synthetic oil at this stage of the game.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Synthetic oil is a waste since you are burning it and will not help slow things down. A thicker 10W30 oil will reduce the oil burning a bit. Just note that if you are unlucky the engine can run out of oil if you forget to check. Some members have reported they were not that lucky and faced expensive engine bills.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the great advices. I used a generic full synthetic because it wasn't that much more than a conventional oil. I will try higher viscosity for high mileage oil and see how it goes next time.

·
Super Moderator
9,736 Posts
You could try adding one of the thicker additives like STP, Motor Honey, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts