Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot about the 2001-2003 ECU issues. Are these issues also present in later models? My 2007 (4 Cyl, Auto, 2wd) suddenly started having shifting issues yesterday. Hard shifts, clunking noise, etc. After it cooled down a little, I unplugged the ECM and plugged it back in, and took it for a short drive, with no issues.

I would think that, if it was a mechanical issue with the trans, it would have has issues when I took it back out. I'm worried about driving it too far, in case it starts up again, potentially damaging the trans further.

I couldn't find much on if the ECU/ECM issues from the earlier models were still an issue in the 2007 models?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
I don't recall any such ECM errors with the 4.3 models in the years I've been here. I'd suggest having the codes read with an all-systems scanner as a first step. And that would apply even if the CE isn't on.

Reactions: RushFan2112

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
How is the condition of the transmission fluid ? Has the transmission fluid been changed ?

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
The first thing to do is to replace the transmission fluid if it has not been done in the last 35K miles.
3 drain/refills or a flush will do the job. Changing the filter is optional in my opinion although a lot of crap stays at the bottom of the pan unless you clean the pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fluid never changed, as it's been dealer serviced... It's dark, and certainly looks like it needs to be changed, so I will do that as well as see if there are any engine codes. (CE is not on)

What I don't get is, if it's fluid, or even something mechanical in the tranny, why is it intermittent and came on suddenly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: So, this afternoon, I took the car for another short drive to see if it started doing it again, and it did. It took over 20 minutes of stop/go driving for it to seriously act up, but I started noticing little "bumps" when stopping, after about 15 minutes of driving.

What I was able to notice was, it is happening when going from 1st to 2nd, and also from 1st to reverse ("D" to reverse). It seems to have issues upshifting and downshifting. When I manually put it into 1st, it drove fine, although obviously limited in how fast I could go, but I made it home. The "Maint Reqd" light flashed for a few seconds when it was having issues shifting. I haven't had a chance to pull codes yet.

When I got into the drive way, and went from first to park, you could here it make the shift, but not as smoothly as usual.

Checked the fluid with it hot, immediately after parking it, and the level was fine. As stated above, it's dirty, but still has a tinge of red to it. After reading through these forums, with 155,000 on it, I'm going to have it changed.

Curious if the additional information points to any additional suspects? Solenoid maybe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... So, I went to get the codes read, and after having parked it earlier (See post above), now it won't engage reverse, or any other gear for that matter... Resetting the ECU/ECM didn't change anything.

When I say it doesn't engage, when I go from Park to Reverse, the idle drops like it's under a load, but won't move, even when pushed, almost like the breaks are holding it in place. Put it in neutral, same thing, only the idle comes up a little. Still can't be pushed. So, now I can't go get the codes read, so I'll have to wait until a friend can come by with a scanner, or I go buy one...

Any other thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts