Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Only been on here a few times.
I just got my car back for the dealer. They installed new pistons and rings because it failed the oil consumption test...good there.
Only thing was they ruined the bottom radiator hose, but I had to pay only
$24. to have it replaced.

The air conditioning is not working because the recirculate button isn't doing any thing. I can hear the vacuum leaking inside the dash when I push the button. I read about holding the button for 5 second. It didn't work I need to replace what ever is in there that activates the door.
I saw on line how to take the dash a part, what is the part that activates the door to recirculate the inside air called and or a part number?
The air compressor seems to be cycling on and off and kicking the engine fan on and off. I had a gage on the low side and it seems to have higher psi when it kicks the compressor on...is this normal or what could be wrong?

Like many others I don't think the fan is very powerful.
My 89 Jeep will blow you hair back.
Any suggestions?
Thanks! jretzky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2007 RAV4 Air conditioning problem

Well it doesn't seem like any one wants to talk about air conditioning.

Found out that the recirculate button only seems to work on certain vent setting?

Went to recharge the AC and I over filled it, so it didn't work at all then.

Does any one know what the psi is suppose to be on the low side?

I have one of those gages that comes with the can of freon.

The green filled area looks like 25 to 45 psi on the low side.

At this point my low side is nearly at 25psi.

Also I noticed the sight glass is white inside, not clear.

Anyone know what's going on?

One more question...when the AC is on is the compressor suppose to cycle on and off?

Thank you!~ jretzky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2007 RAV4 air conditioning problem

Just found out that my AC and heating fan wasn't working well because the cabin filter was really dirty. Just so you know the instructions on the cabin filter say to point the arrow down, but on YouTube all cabin replacement videos say point the arrow up. The correct arrow position is up... That is the way the air flows. Now my fan is working fantastic. Still have bubbles in my site glass and the psi on the low side changes when the compressor kicks on

No real cold air coming out of the vents.
Any body know what's happening?
Thanks!~ jretzky

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Just found out that my AC and heating fan wasn't working well because the cabin filter was really dirty. Just so you know the instructions on the cabin filter say to point the arrow down, but on YouTube all cabin replacement videos say point the arrow up. The correct arrow position is up... That is the way the air flows. Now my fan is working fantastic. Still have bubbles in my site glass and the psi on the low side changes when the compressor kicks on.
Are you sure about the air flow? When you removed the old filter, was it really dirty on the top or the bottom? I'm 99% sure the air flow is DOWN, that way the crud stays on the top of the filter element when you slide it out. Also, the compressor is a continuously variable capacity type which is not like your father's compressor. You should read this document:

AC Description 354kb PDF

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I agree with Junebug according to the AC Description on page BE27 the air flow is blowing down. If it was blowing up the dirt on top of the filter will not stay on the top of the filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question - was your AC working when you dropped it off for the oil consumption fix?

I just picked my '07 Rav4 up after having the fix and on the service write up it says "AC not working when checked before repair"...i questioned the service rep because 1) it was certainly working when i dropped it off and; 2) no one called to tell me it wasn't working up until the time i picked it up. I need to call the service rep back and see what can be done because it was definitely working when i dropped it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2007 RAV4 air conditioning problem.

Hi!~Everyone, I just over filled my AC and when I dropped it down to 35psi on the low side it started working fine.

If you're like me, you don't check your cabin filter very often...my fan is working wonderful!!! My daughter loves sun flower seeds and I have the proof.

I called Toyota Corp. Customer Service and gave them my vehicle identification number and they told me I had 4 recalls on my 2007 RAV4 4cyl.

My AC was not working very well when brought it into the dealer to have the oil consumption test.

They were working on the air bag (?) in the steering column and they broke the steering angle sensor. They wanted me to pay $500. for them to replace it.

I insisted that the lights were not lite up on the dash when I brought it in.
They fixed it & paid for it, BUT THEY BROKE IT. It said on the ticket that I accused them of breaking it, but never admitted it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Are you sure about the air flow? When you removed the old filter, was it really dirty on the top or the bottom? I'm 99% sure the air flow is DOWN, that way the crud stays on the top of the filter element when you slide it out. Also, the compressor is a continuously variable capacity type which is not like your father's compressor. You should read this document:

AC Description 354kb PDF
All the cabin air filters I have replaced have been dirty on the top. Sometimes they are full, and when the filter is removed, all the excess gets scraped off and falls down into the blower motor. Trying to keep this from happening is next to impossible because the slot the filter fits into is just slightly bigger than the filter.

Back to the topic, airflow is DOWN on every (>200) filter I have changed.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced the filter and the blower motor. The air is cold, but very, very weak. The four levels all work, but even on high it's not good enough to actually keep the cabin cold. I have been told it's because the routing of the ducts in such a short dash-board. Any thoughts would be welcome. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts