Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 rav4 4WD 4 cylinder truck. This has 145k on it, I maintain it pretty well with all fluid levels and regular full synthetic oil changes. As this is small engine its going sluggish with age, do you I should keep this car or start thinking about replacing it. Its been a lovely car so far. I am skeptic about spending more money to get rid some of the body noises and due to worn engine mounts and worn struts because i am not sure how long I can drive this car based on left over life.

any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
How long to keep a car is a personal choice. It depends how much repairs you see coming. Another thing is that as time goes by there are way better cars available in the used car market.

Sometimes you need to add up all the future expenses: Brakes, tires, shocks, struts, battery, etc. Then there are unexpected repairs you may have. Compare that to a newer car with low mileage which may not need repairs for a long time.

Another factor is that you may want a change and get a model that is more current and has more features.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long to keep a car is a personal choice. It depends how much repairs you see coming. Another thing is that as time goes by there are way better cars available in the used car market.

Sometimes you need to add up all the future expenses: Brakes, tires, shocks, struts, battery, etc. Then there are unexpected repairs you may have. Compare that to a newer car with low mileage which may not need repairs for a long time.

Another factor is that you may want a change and get a model that is more current and has more features.
Thank you for your reply. I am fine with the brakes, struts etc. maintenances. I am ready to spend that much $2-4k to give a better look and feel because I love the look of this car compared to the newer models. My only concern is the engine and transmission life span which is pretty much the deciding factor. If there is any specific maintenance that needs to be done at this mileage, please recommend.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I am fine with the brakes, struts etc. maintenances. I am ready to spend that much $2-4k to give a better look and feel because I love the look of this car compared to the newer models. My only concern is the engine and transmission life span which is pretty much the deciding factor. If there is any specific maintenance that needs to be done at this mileage, please recommend.
Change the transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. If you tow, drive in mountains, drive in dust conditions, carry roof racks, etc then change every 25,000 miles.

Also change the coolant and other fluid such as r/d and t/c if you have 4WD as per owners manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts