Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plugged a tire inflator into the 12 volt outlet under the arm rest and it ran about half a second, then stopped. I found the outlet had no power. I suspected a blown fuse and referred to a fuse reference and it showed under dash fuses 12 and 23 were for 12 volt cigarette lighter ports. I pulled and tested both and they had continuity. The 12 volt port in the back of the vehicle also has no power.

Where else should I look to identify the break in power to the 12 volt cigarette lighter ports?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,849 Posts
Under the dash behind the hood release. You must literally lay your head down on the floor mat and look up. There is also a blue power relay for the center console port and cargo port. It’s behind a pop-out panel to the left of the steering column and below the change cubby.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
You need to run your engine so the battery voltage is higher next time. This will reduce the chance of you blowing the fuse. If you are running the engine make you are using the outlet below the hvac control. The other 2 outlets have a lower power rating. If the fuse keeps blowing then you have to connect the inflator directly to the battery. An adapter would need to be used to connect the inflator to the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under the dash behind the hood release. You must literally lay your head down on the floor mat and look up. There is also a blue power relay for the center console port and cargo port. It’s behind a pop-out panel to the left of the steering column and below the change cubby.
I've changed fuses. I know what an awkward place it's in. And I've removed and checked fuses 12 and 23. Both good. I'm Familiar with the blue relay too. I may try and check it out. But there's a way of bypassing that relay. It still doesn't work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to run your engine so the battery voltage is higher next time. This will reduce the chance of you blowing the fuse. If you are running the engine make you are using the outlet below the hvac control. The other 2 outlets have a lower power rating. If the fuse keeps blowing then you have to connect the inflator directly to the battery. An adapter would need to be used to connect the inflator to the battery.
OK. I'll only use the under arm rest outlet for cell phone charging.
I actually have run a line directly from battery *fused of course * to the cabin. I guess that's teh one I should have used for the inflator.

The two fuses are good. Still no power when bypassing the relay. I think those two possible causes have been eliminated. Still don't know why no power. If I had a wiring diagram I might try tracing where the power drops. But it's really a pain sometimes just getting to bare wire to run a continuity or voltage test. I don't now what else to do. I hate handing my keys over to a dealer or garage. I'm sure they'll find the cause, after replacing five hundred dollars of parts unnecessarily or parts they damage in the p rocess.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you sure it's the outlet, have you tried something else in it? I ask because I had one of those that had a fuse in the plug and that blew.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
So it appears the fuse is blown at the back (cargo area) which has a lower fuse rating than the front. Don't use that one for your inflator. That cargo outlet and the one inside the arm rest feeds to the same fuse. It appears your fuse is blown still and perhaps you are checking the wrong fuse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure it's the outlet, have you tried something else in it? I ask because I had one of those that had a fuse in the plug and that blew.
Yes, I've plugged a cigarett lighter - USB adapter that lights up when there's power. It does not light up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it appears the fuse is blown at the back (cargo area) which has a lower fuse rating than the front. Don't use that one for your inflator. That cargo outlet and the one inside the arm rest feeds to the same fuse. It appears your fuse is blown still and perhaps you are checking the wrong fuse.
Yes, neigher the armrest well nor the back outlets have power. I consulted a fuse block reference that seem to say that fuses 12 and 23 were the ones for the cigarett lighter outlets. I removed, checked both fuses - both had continuity. Then I replaced them with new fuses just to be sure. Still no power. It seems either there's another fuse(S) that serve these outlets, or something other than a fuse is blown.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Yes, neigher the armrest well nor the back outlets have power. I consulted a fuse block reference that seem to say that fuses 12 and 23 were the ones for the cigarett lighter outlets. I removed, checked both fuses - both had continuity. Then I replaced them with new fuses just to be sure. Still no power. It seems either there's another fuse(S) that serve these outlets, or something other than a fuse is blown.

I just checked and there are 3 fuses for all the power outlet. It appear fuse 9 and 11 could be blown. Also 24?

#8 (15A fuse for cigarette lighter - near HVAC)
#9 (7.5A fuse for power outlet, accessories, radio, clock, etc)
#11 (15A fuse power outlet)

#1 Tail (10A)
#2 Panel (7.5A)
#3 Gauge 1 (10A)
#4 D FR Door (20A)
#5 RL Door (20A)
#6 RR DOOR (20A)
#7 S/ROOF (25A)
#8 CIG (15A)
#9 ACC (7.5A)
#10 MIR HTR (10A)
#11 PWR OUTLET (15A)
#12 RR FOG (10A)
#13 IGN (7.5A)
#16 FR WIP (25A)
#17 RR WIP (15A)
#18 WSH (15A)
#19 ECU IG 1 (10A)
#20 ECU IG 2 (10A)
#21 OBD 7.5A)
#22 STOP (10A)
#23 DOOR (25A)
#24 ACC-B (25A) ACC, CIG FUSES
#26 FR FOG (15A)
#27 AM1 (7.5A) * WITHOUT SMRT KEY
#28 DEF (30A)
#29 P/SEAT (30A)
#30 POWER (30A) POWER WINDOWS

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,849 Posts
Your 2007 and my 2008 should be identical. Fuse 23 "CIG" and fuse 27 "PWR OUTLET" are the ones you should be checking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your 2007 and my 2008 should be identical. Fuse 23 "CIG" and fuse 27 "PWR OUTLET" are the ones you should be checking.

View attachment 165156
You win grand prize junebug. My car didn't c=me with that diagram. But I did have a correct reference and both say #23 is "CIG" (cigarette lighter). And both say "Power Outlet" for #27. I was thinking that some RAV4's have an AC (inverter) power outlet. But that apparently is for the DC (cigarette lighter) outlet. Thanks. Problem solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts