Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently experienced a dead in flight with my 2007 Rav4. As I was driving the power steering went mid turn and the electronics died out on me. I pulled over and the radio and lights still worked but the power steering was gone and the instrument pane;l stopped working. The car wouldn't turn over. Does this seem like the alternator isn't charging the battery, or a loss of spark? Or is it more technical like a fuse or wiring issue? (Considering some electronics worked and others didn't.)

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Battery and/or charging system would be the first place I'd check, a low battery can cause all kinds of problems, when's the last time the battery was replaced?

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Yes, Quickdtoo is right, the battery can fail often without warning. A partially or intermittently shorted cell can do this. The power steering can pull a lot of amps especially at low speeds—this is a big strain on the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. The battery is about 2 months old. I changed it because the one before was old and the car wouldn't start one morning.

I'm going to head over and try and fix it now, it broke down quite a ways from home. My plan is start with battery/alternator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Boutie
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing