Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I purchased a 2007 RAV4 with a full maintenance history, car looked good and checked out minus a few things. Brought to my own mechanic before purchase and front shocks were gone and inner tie rod was gone on right side. Told shop I would pay for car minus whatever it was for front shocks and inner tie rod. About a few weeks later the front inner tie rod is bad again. I go back to my mechanic he replaces at no cost under warranty thinking that it was a faulty part. 500 KM later the same inner tie rod goes again and is loose and clunking on braking. I go back to the car dealership and tell them i'm having an issue with the car and its going through inner tie rods like a eat chicken wings on a friday night. They tell me to eat dirt since after 2 weeks its off the lot and not there problem. My mechanic is going to have another look next month and warranty the part again. He says he's thinking its the Rack bushing causing the inner tie rod to be a vulnerable position causing it to fail prematurely. Its 2600$ to replace the rack with labour. Has anyone changed just the bushings before? He says they are not available but I've seen some links on ebay, not sure if reliable. I was thinking of changing the tie rod, parking car and trading into dealership since two said they would be me around 8K for it. I'd lose money but would be better off. Anyone who has experienced any of this before would like there opinion.

Thanks again.

Chad

·
Registered
162 Posts
You will need to do this, handles like its brand new.....problem solved.

Did this to solve all my final steering clunks, tried all the other solutions posted......problem finally solved.......no engine removal, no dropping of sub-frame, just support trans axle/motor with 2 bottle jacks and remove the rear mount, had to grind of the studs pressed in mount and replace with bolt-nut combo, 4hrs of brutal labor.... but doable without lift. I have the 2.4L 2WD model only, so i'm sure that might be the reason it's doable. was tired, only took a few pics.

parts you will need: Toyota P/N's ordered from McGeorge Toyota Onlineparts

90460-64003 clamp $5.20
45510-4223 Gear Assembly(rack pinion) $654.00
shipping USPS 13.00

TOTAL: $672.00

add front end alignment: $ 75.00

took me 4 hours to do, had help, i'm not a mechanic....just work on cars weekends for friends/family.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you're not mechanically inclined, need the vehicle to work...might be best to just bring it to factory authorized dealer of reputable quality. If you're willing to get dirty and spend your time, posts like myravis_silver show you can fix a lot of stuff!

Maybe your steering rack is good, maybe it's not. Diagnosing what's the problem is the biggest issue in my opinion.

I was ready to replace the struts, tie rods, torsion bars and ball joints...when I found out I was a dumb#@$ and the brake caliper bolt eventually fell out. $3.60 later and 90ft lbs (yeah I over torqued it this time) everything is fine. Still going to order the other parts, but less of a rush.

·
Registered
94 Posts
..Has anyone changed just the bushings before? He says they are not available but I've seen some links on ebay, not sure if reliable.

EVERYTHING is available. Problem is you might need to buy a bigger part, just not the bushings. Rav4 service manual isn't great but I'd start looking at the parts dealers online. With a few hours and a bunch of websites you can normally figure out what you need. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to call the dealer parts department.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input guys. The dealer here in Ottawa Canada wants 1600 Canadian for the rack. I'm going to take it to my mechanic for him to take a better look. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. The dealer here in Ottawa Canada wants 1600 Canadian for the rack. I'm going to take it to my mechanic for him to take a better look. Thanks again.
This whole scenario is so odd, unheard of, and excuse me even stupid, that I'd recommend taking it ANYWHERE but that dealer.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
That is the suggested list price Toyota charges in Canada. You can get a better price if you shop around for aftermarket racks. The US have lower prices even with shipping. I see a Ebay have racks cheap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe your steering rack is good, maybe it's not. Diagnosing what's the problem is the biggest issue in my opinion.

The only way to verify if the rack is the source of clunk sound that resonates thru the steering wheel is to disconnect the outer tie rods, left/right, turn steering wheel full turn to either side and check for end play in the shaft,( grab with hand move it), as far as internal bushing replacements looks like you have to pry and/or cut ends open, not worth the time/effort and going aftermarket IMO is if you want to get it fixed just to sell vehicle, I ordered what i thought was the most updated part and was shipped a complete different part number, so it's been revised, did not want aftermarket, it's a major component and did not want to do it any time soon.

again it could be very difficult to replace on a 4wd model including a V6 base with no 4wd option.
on the I4 base after doing it, was not to difficult and can save you around $1,000 going DIY, i encourage everyone who can pretty much do struts or even a complete brake job can get this completed.

there is a sticky on the i-shaft replacement with splash boot that attaches to the firewall, looking back on the process, that was the biggest PIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts