Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Over the past few weeks a tapping/grinding noise has formed in my father's 07 Rav4 I4 while idling and accelerating to around 2000rpm. I'm sure the noise is still there after 2k rpm, but with all the other ambient and road noises it's not very audible. It doesn't sound like lifters to me or rod knock. I'm unfamiliar with pad slap noises, so I can't rule that out. When I looked at it, it sounded like it was coming towards the front of the motor, possibly in the timing system. I did notice it continued for a second or two after killing the ignition. It consumes oil at what I would consider an excessive rate. Possibly 2 qts in 1.5 months.

Before I pull the cover, are there any common issues with this motor? Timing chain tensioner or cam gears, possibly? It almost sound like the chain might possibly be hitting the valve cover or something else. I found a TSB for the V6, but not the 4cyl, with the exception of the piston issue causing the excessive oil consumption.

I'm not familiar with these motors and have been out of the wrench turning game for a while now. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
How many miles does in use 1 qt of oil?
Toyota is repairing those engines for free if they consume 1 qt within 1200 miles. Check the tsb on the website for more info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts