Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forums here but I am trying to upgrade my existing headunit (JBL) to a navigation one that I got (scion frs) I was wondering if I could just hook up the left and right wires to the respective one on the JBL harness, I currently have all the wires connected with scotch locks. Just wondering whether or not I would need the PAC TATO unit or not...

The new nav unit has the standard toyota stereo connections BTW. I found a spare harness laying around and used the connector on that to tap into the factory one

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
The JBL unit uses an external amplifier located on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. The Scion units are usually Pioneer and I don't think they use an external amp. If you were to connect the output of the Scion (which is already amplified) to the JBL amplifier, you are liable to blow your speakers or the amp itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.
Well, good thing I didn't connect the speaker wires yet then am I right! LOL. So I guess I will need that PAC tato unit to get it all to work?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
Well, good thing I didn't connect the speaker wires yet then am I right! LOL. So I guess I will need that PAC tato unit to get it all to work?
Yes, you would need an adapter that cuts the audio level from the Scion head unit down to line level. I've seen several over at the Crutchfield site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts