Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellas. I have a 2007 Rav4 2wd v6. It's got about 65k and haven't had any major problems other then replacing the water pump and struts. The other day on my way to work, I noticed the Mil came on, along with the VSC and slip indicator.

Car of course drivers perfectly so I proceeded to work. Got up this morning and ran my OBD tester and it pulls only one code which is P0606 which is ECM/PCM processor. After some you tube and google, I have found that this is usually an bad O2 sensor.

My question is which O2 sensor is bad and how to I go about troubleshooting? I would rather fix it myself if I can and forgo getting screwed by taking it in and paying 400$ plus for this easy fix. I am thinking of just clearing the code, and seeing if it returns. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI- Well, I just drove to the store and back home and all 3 lights turned off. Was about to buy a o2 sensor off of Amazon, but at this point, I just cleared the code and will wait and see if it comes back. Hopefully it was a glitch or perhaps a loose gas cap...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings again fellas....Dreaded triple light combo came back tonight on my way home from work. Rav4 still drives perfectly. Thinking about changing the o2 sensor as this seems to be brought up with this check engine light/vsc/slip combo.

Is it usually the o2 sensor that is accessible on the drivers side that is the culprit? I know that you can read the data on the OBD to see which sensor is running high but I am almost a complete noob with car mechanics. I can do the basics and I would rather change this myself then getting price gouged by the dealer/repair shops.

Also, the P0606 code supposedly points to a bad ECU which would be terrible and expensive, so I want to make sure that the O2 sensor is the likely culprit. Any advice from you experts would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't buy anything yet!

Go to your nearest O'Reilly, right now, and ask them to hook up a tester to your OBDII port, and, SIMPLY, look at the LIVE data, (NOT the codes folder).
That will show you everything that is accessible by your OBDII scanner in your car, right on the screen, LIVE. And then, you will see what EXACTLY is functioning out of the norm.

It is Free, so, use it.

Also, take pictures, with your phone, of EVVVVVVVVVVRYTHING you see on the LIVE screen, (scroll down the screen as you go), and then, print it out, (blown up), and show to a mechanic you trust. He will be able to give you a sound advice.

Do NOT buy and change an O2 sensor yet! You may not need to!

If it is, indeed, an O2 sensor out of wack, it is, probably, the upstream one, (the closest to the engine, right agter the exhaust manigold). Check LIVE readings FIRST, BEFORE buying and replacing ANYTHING!

It is FREE! So, USE IT!

·
Registered
12 Posts
P.S. The OBDII scanner, also, offers to plot the data of the Live screen. Take pictures of ALL the LIVE plots that OBDII scanner has to offer, and print them out too. This will help your TRUSTED mechanic to troubleshout the possible cause. In scence - you NEVER have too much data! (A rule of thumb)

Also, it may be a good time to invest in an OBDII scanner of your own. Not a tiny, cheap one, but a decent, with a medium size screen, and as many features as possible. You will have saved SO much money in the long term, instead of paying to crooks, for things, (read, 'crap'), that did not need to get fixed in the first place.

Try this one, for starters, learn it, and you might not even need anything else, evere again - BlueDriver OBDII Diagnostics Tool.

Google it, from CrisFix. Watch the video on YouTube.

(For some reason can't post a link here.)

Regards

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Also, it may be a good time to invest in an OBDII scanner of your own. Not a tiny, cheap one, but a decent, with a medium size screen, and as many features as possible. You will have saved SO much money in the long term, instead of paying to crooks, for things, (read, 'crap'), that did not need to get fixed in the first place.
You mean like this one:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/105-rav4-news-reviews-videos/256537-review-creader-8001-diagnostic-scanner-launch-tech.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, I posted a screenshot of the webpage, and typed in the name - see above.

Quoting from my post above:

'BlueDriver OBDII Diagnostics Tool'

Google it, from CrisFix. Watch the video on YouTube.

Click the attachment under my post, and see above, around the end of the post. It has the name

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your photo shows an OBDII scanner - correct. If it is yours, you are all set.
However, try the one I have mentioned. You may kust get more for your money.

*Plus, they give you a 4-year warranty for just $16.00 more(!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts