Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to do an auto to manual transmission swap? If so, how much would that all cost and what all would I have to do. Haven't really found any information online.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Another owner was working on that sort of swap on this forum, but after doing a partial forum search I didn't find the thread. It should be able to be located by searching more thoroughly. It would appear that such a swap would be expensive and involve some re-engineering. Also when I had a manual shift CR-V and the dealer was prepping it they discovered that the computer chip controller which operated the VSC was faulty. They were going to swap it for one from an auto trans CR-V which they had in stock since they had no other manual shift, but could not since the part numbers between manual and auto gearbox versions were different. So changing a RAV V6 to a manual trans might present problems which may be difficult to resolve - especially since there is no manual trans 4.3 V6 RAV.
Good luck, and keep us posted, especially if you can work out such a swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback, I haven't found anyone also doing a similar project but I'm still getting used to the site. Would I need to get a specific manual transmission, pedal assembly, and hydraulic lines for the clutch?

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
Where would you get a manual transmission for it? Or a clutch, or the ECU? There are none offered for the V-6 RAV in any country so you are in for one hugely expensive experiment that would cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, maybe tens of thousands!!! FUHGETABOUTIT!!!!!!!!!!

It would be easier to drop a 428 ci Ford Cobrajet into a Corvair.......if you're old enough to know what either one of those are.
It's nice that a relative gave you the car but you need to learn how quick it is initially before going for "power mods", especially those that don't exist. Save your money for insurance payments.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,336 Posts
Lol that's why I started the topic with "is it possible.."
And my answer to a question like that is: ANYTHING is possible if you can throw enough money at it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.