Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Toyota Rav4 V6 AWD Engine noise mystery.
Can anyone please help me figure out this weird whistle/whine that is coming from the front of my engine? I've already unplugged the alternator, noise did't go away. Nothing to do with the air conditioner. Nothing to do with the engine belt. Doesn't make the noise at start-up. Does make the noise when the engine is the least bit warmed up. Doesn't go away when you rev the engine.
YouTube video search is: 2007 Toyota Rav4 V6 AWD Engine noise mystery.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 2007 4cyl Rav4 was making a noise like you described, it was an alternator bearing, so simply unplugging it would make no difference. I replaced it plus a new serpentine belt, all good now.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
As BAH already said, alternator could have a bad bearing. Same with the water pump. I'd remove the serpentine belt and see what that does.

·
Registered
123 Posts
had that sound that is similair to yours. Mine turned out to be a bad alternator bearing. Now they do selling the bearing by itself (third party). Given the age, if it is just the alternator bearing, I would just put in a whole unit. The one I got was a remanufactured one off ebay. I bought it and then had the dealer install it as they had diagnosed it when I brought it in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts