Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my Front Struts. Can I replace them with the sport struts? I'll buy a kit that comes with the coils already installed. Will they bolt right on or do I need to change something else too? Are the rear struts on the sport model the same as the base?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The rav has struts up front and shocks in the rear...the sport uses different shocks and struts than the base/limited, however they are completely interchangeable with no modification...I would not install them tho, I would go aftermarket and just reuse your spring...those cheap ass all in one spring and strut kits suck...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rav has struts up front and shocks in the rear...the sport uses different shocks and struts than the base/limited, however they are completely interchangeable with no modification...I would not install them tho, I would go aftermarket and just reuse your spring...those cheap ass all in one spring and strut kits suck...

Thanks for the information. Replacing struts was just always one of the things I have always been afraid to do at the risk of taking my head off. I have noticed for the Rav4 they don't make any good all included kits so I might just have to take the risk.

1. If I want to upgrade to the sport suspension do I need to change the springs also? I would think so.

2. Am I correct to assume the sport and base RAV4 Rear shocks are the same and just were different depending on other options like engine size.

·
Registered
207 Posts
aapuzzo,

Look at my reply to alyxkat1392 and rav4system about Sachs struts/shocks. That thread is about a setup for going off road. But the larger issue is how one achieves Sport suspension characteristics in a Base or Ltd. I did it with Sachs. (Sorry if I sound like a Sachs advertisement. But they really are good. :thumbs_up:)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I have to replace my Front Struts. Can I replace them with the sport struts? I'll buy a kit that comes with the coils already installed. Will they bolt right on or do I need to change something else too? Are the rear struts on the sport model the same as the base?

The rear are shocks not struts.

Don't think you can use Sport struts or shocks on your Base model.

The Sport have tubes that connects together the front and rear struts/shocks.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The rear are shocks not struts.

Don't think you can use Sport struts or shocks on your Base model.

The Sport have tubes that connects together the front and rear struts/shocks.
#1 yes he/she can use sport components (shocks/struts) on a base or limited...
#2wtf are these tubes you speak of?
#3 there are no "tubes"that connect the front and rear suspensions on these things...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thanks for the information. Replacing struts was just always one of the things I have always been afraid to do at the risk of taking my head off. I have noticed for the Rav4 they don't make any good all included kits so I might just have to take the risk.

1. If I want to upgrade to the sport suspension do I need to change the springs also? I would think so.

2. Am I correct to assume the sport and base RAV4 Rear shocks are the same and just were different depending on other options like engine size.
#1 if i remember correctly the front springs are dependent on engine (v6 has a stiffer spring to accommodate the heavier motor and transmission) so all v6 models (sport, limited and base) have the same front springs and the same goes with the models when the 4 banger...all models use the same rear springs no matter what engine it has except the models with the 3rd row (base and limited as the 3rd row was not available on the sport)...3rd row models have their own rear springs...if you go to a toyota online parts site you can look up the springs for each model and purchase them if you want...

#2 from the factory the sport models have different struts and shocks than the base/limited models...if you look at a sport model the factory struts/shocks are blue...i think the base/limited ones are black...the v6 and 4 banger sport models use the same shock/strut...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Rav4system, why do you say that they suck? I am a complete novice in this area.
more often than not the "all in one" complete strut assembly uses lower quality parts...they make people think they are saving money by it being all one assembly, but the quality is generally not even close to OEM much less better...i have learned this thru experience lol...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts