Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone hit our 2005 RAV4 L and totalled it. I need a car for my stay at home wife for errands and short trips (20 miles round trip) to drop off the kid to school.

I am thinking about buying a 2006-08 RAV from a private party. I have never purchased a car that wasn't new, but now is not the time to get a newer car with a Camry payment already. I can pay cash if I go 2006-08. I can't decide if I should target a Limited or a 4 banger.

The Limited looks interesting from photos - almost 'luxurious', but I've also read about engine and oil issues with them in this forum. I imagine its a quieter ride due to the larger engine, and possibly more "comfortable' to ride in. Then again I could be just imagining this because of the term "Limited".

Can anyone weigh in on the differences between the two in terms of quality of ride and fit and finish?

I know we will need to test drive them to compare, but what should I be looking for?

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
The Base, Sport and Limited are all available with either an I4 or V6 engine, and in 2WD and 4WD.

The 2008 and earlier 2.4L I4s have as one member put it "sporadic" oil consumption issues, meaning many don't but some do. In 2009 the I4 became the current 2.5L with no such problem.

At 125K I'm very happy with our Limited which comes with a sunroof, automatic Climate Control, JBL Radio and alloy wheels. The '06 V6s had ignition coil and oil hose problems, both of which were easily resolved on ours - and probably have been by 100K, the mileage an '06 is likely to have.

One caution if you look at a Sport take an extended test drive to be sure the stiffer suspension than the Base or Limited is to your liking.

Also if you like POWER go for the V6. I do and got addicted with one push of the pedal on the right.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If going for an '06-'08 I'd definitely get the V6 in order to avoid the oil-guzzling problems the I4 often (but not always) had.

No question about it. Forget the power boost, the increased reliability peace of mind alone is worth it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah, i second the motion, since you mentioned about your wife is going to use this with load (kids) and errands. what i mean is, if you're always loaded using an I4, the fuel consumption seems
not that far difference.

it is just that, your maintenance is a bit more expensive, more engine oil! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts