Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, although I've been reading up for sometime now. I'm so glad I stumbled here, so much valuable information!

so I am looking to purchase a used RAV4 and after looking at Toyota dealerships, I decided to try private seller/used dealer instead (i have a good mechanic and figured if i'm buying used, I'm probably going to spend on repairs anyway, so I'd rather save as much as I can upfront and put the savings towards repairs

All the listings I saw 4cyl 2011 ~85000 km are ~ 13800-15000$ (before tax), I want to pay less and found a private seller 4cyl 2008 with 105000 Km asking price 11000$ (not sure about trim level but it's listed with leather heated seats, although I couldn't see the limited or sport sign on the pics) my question are:

1- is this a reasonable price? (listed as Toyota certified, with Toyota extended warranty)
2- considering it's an 8 year car, will rust be an issue? I would like the car to last me a long time (expectation based on my currently falling apart 97 CRV and 276K km!! :))
3- what would I be missing by not looking at a V6 instead? wouldn't a V6 cost more to maintain/gas? how much more?
4- will the oil consumption issue on a 4cyl 2008 be just an annoyance or should I completely disregard these cars because of it? (I was really looking forward to this car until I read about this issue),and how do I know if it's been fixed on this car?

Thank you so much in advance for all your help. I will be going to see this car tomorrow.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
that sounds like a good price...i would ask why they are selling...i would ask about it burning oil...with leather it's probably the limited, but sports were available with leather tho i'm not sure if they were before 2009...it has pretty low miles so rust should not be a huge issue just make sure the rear tie rod recall has been completed...as far as gas mileage goes the v6 gets 3 miles per gallon less in the city and about 1 or 2 less highway if that...the v6 will cost more to maintain and repair, but it's way more fun lol...one example is in order to change the v6 alternator the radiator must be removed...the oil burning will cause issues at some point i would imagine...fouled o2 sensors and maybe a plugged catalytic converter here or there...toyota is repairing ones that burn more than what they consider normal...i would not settle for anything below 2009 since it has the better 4 cylinder and a few other cosmetic changes that i like, but the one you're looking at doesn't seem too bad...

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
How could a private seller claim Toyota certified? I echo rav4system's words above.... Do consider the V-6. I would not consider the 2.4l engine unless it had been rebuilt under the Toyota program. Is that program available in Canada? 105,000km is right at the point where they start consuming oil if it's going to. Not every one does but most do, it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Maybe not Toyota certified:
- but one can claim/prove if vehicle was Toyota/Lexus Dealership maintained, since new / all helps

I'm a few hours drive from TO and bought a private sale 2008 Limited, v6-4x4 with 89,600 Km.
- 1st owner traded it in at 79,000 Km and bought a new Lexus RX350
- 2nd owner was a Doctor and keeps a vehicle for only one year / than takes a surgeon position in another country
^^ Both owners had faithfully used the local dealership / for all maintenance.
- 2nd owner bought the extended warranty, and a full year remained...$22,000 tax in & only kept for 12 months/10,000 Km
- 1st owner had the few recall work performed
At the time, 2nd owner was offered $7,000 cash at dealership / they would have spent $1,000 on new tires & rear brake pads & flipped for a quick $10,000 profit.
- I found our RAV4, on local Kijiji

Several months later, we now have +20,000 Km of trouble free ownership.
- love the v6 with 5 speed auto
In fact, our next SUV will be a used v6 Highlander or Lexus RX350.
- won't entertain a 4cyl. RAV4 now / been spoiled

Our 2008 RAV4, from ON was totally rust free still.
- undercarriage & floor pans still had shinny paint / Toyota dealership may have done the first rustproofing package (?)
- I laid'ed down in the driveway & crawled under it, for a good look (in pouring rain)
- got it wax-oil spray undercoated, in December
- I saved about $5,000 + tax by not purchasing from a dealership

Samrav - $11,000 CDN seems more than fair, for a v6-2008 with leather.
Note
- got to register extended warranty, in your name at Toyota Dealership, before 31 days are up
(Free transfer or your SOL)

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Samrav - $11,000 CDN seems more than fair, for a v6-2008 with leather.
Note
- got to register extended warranty, in your name at Toyota Dealership, before 31 days are up
(Free transfer or your SOL)
I agree but it's the '08 2.4l that he's looking at and considering :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I spent the night reading up more about oil issue and I agree, I don't think I wanna take that chance. I've moved to looking at 2009 and up, from what I read here, these models don't seem to have any major issues, did I miss something?

I have a question, some dealers say this "This vehicle is not drivable, not certified or emission tested .Certification & Emissions test available for six hundred and ninety five"

If I find a good car from a private seller, how do I handle this point? do I ask the seller for safety and e- testing certification?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would never pay a dealer $695 for provincial safety check & E-test...almost a "bait&switch" IMO.
- your already paying full list/retail price, in most cases / ^^ should be included, in asking $$

I recently saw a 2008 Nissan Maxima on my buddies garage lift, a customers car in for front end rebuild / both front floor pans had severe rust, leading to rot-out the size of a foot ball.
Never fall in the trap of buying as is, with good money...could be a costly mistake.
- some used car dealer (in big cities), don't care what they sell much
- there not looking for repeat customers / built on trusted relationships
- just new ones / its purely a numbers game

I'm selling a solid 2005 Jimmy v6-4x4 right now / $4,500 certified & E-tested or $4,000 as is.
Any vehicle over several thousand dollars (+/-) should be sold road worthy...period.
- no point in buying someone else's Junk
Few weeks ago, I sold a 2008 Nissan Rogue, fully safety checked with emission pass / all inclusive in price...young lady, was very happy with her 1st vehicle transaction.

Samrav - if you want me to help & hunt down a local/private sale v6-RAV4 for you, PM me your name/address/cell # and we can discuss more...I'll take a finders fee & negotiate an attractive purchase (from London area), once you approve SUV...this stuff is in my fun zone, I'm good at it.

Larry's Intro. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/91-member-introductions/194450-1st-time-toyota-owner-couldnt-happier-used-rav4.html
See Post #65: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/215706-get-leasing-rav4-life-cheaper-than-buying-same-car-7.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts