Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2008 4cyl (~40k miles) in 2011 and it had been running well until this week. The motor developed a loud rattle and we broke down in a rural area. Local mechanic says we will likely need to replace the motor. Looking at $4k for parts and labor.

2 questions:
1. Does it seem strange for the motor to give out at only 115K miles? Should we bring it up with the used car company (extended warranty recently expired of course)
2. Is it worth putting more money into fixing it or giving it up?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
1. Yes, very rare--except for those engines were prone to excessive oil burning. If the engine runs out of oil, they seize, and it can happen within a few hundred miles of oil level check. Is it possible this may have happened? How often had you checked the oil?

2. In my opinion, no to fixing it for that price, but it kind of depends on the quality of the mechanic.

BTW, if it was an oil burning problem, and you had serviced the car according to the maintenance schedule, you MIGHT still be covered by the Toyota extended warranty program. Owners who had car engines seized were supposedly reimbursed their cost. But you have to be within 10 years of first date the car was put in service, and less than 150K miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

1. We bought it from a used car dealer rather than from Toyota. I doubt they will be very sympathetic. Interesting about the oil issue. We had been on schedule with oil changes and a few times the shop told us the level was lower than it should have been before the change. We had last changed the oil one month ago and when we broke down the level was empty.

2. That's kind of what we're thinking as well. The cost of parts and labor to fix is equal to or more than what we could sell it for even if it was working. Sad. Great little vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
I agree with you & RAVN4RED. It's just not worth the expense. What you didn't say was will it be replaced with another defective used 2.4l engine or one that has been updated with all new parts to eliminate the oil consumption or the newer 2.5l ???

If the updated 2.4 or the latter it just might be worth it........?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
... We bought it from a used car dealer rather than from Toyota. I doubt they will be very sympathetic. Interesting about the oil issue. We had been on schedule with oil changes and a few times the shop told us the level was lower than it should have been before the change. We had last changed the oil one month ago and when we broke down the level was empty.
Hmm. It doesn't matter where you bought it or if there was any warranty in effect or if you are the second or third or tenth owner. The rules of the enhanced warranty cover any 2006-2008 RAV 4 cyl for 10 years from the first date in service or 150K miles. You should contact the Toyota Corporate Customer Service department, give them your VIN and establish the date in service. You are under the mileage. If I recall correctly, Toyota was covering engines that had seized due to the oil consumption. If you were having it routinely serviced and the engine failed, you might have a case for a repair at a Toyota dealer on their dime.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hmm. It doesn't matter where you bought it or if there was any warranty in effect or if you are the second or third or tenth owner. The rules of the enhanced warranty cover any 2006-2008 RAV 4 cyl for 10 years from the first date in service or 150K miles. You should contact the Toyota Corporate Customer Service department, give them your VIN and establish the date in service. You are under the mileage. If I recall correctly, Toyota was covering engines that had seized due to the oil consumption. If you were having it routinely serviced and the engine failed, you might have a case for a repair at a Toyota dealer on their dime.
Agree with this. I wouldn't give up and walk away, the 2.4l 2AZ-FE engine is notorious for this and Toyota finally gave in to outside pressure and issued a large service bulletin on it. They even updated to a new engine around 2009 across their cars to a new 2.5l because the issues were well documented; another forum member also has a thread about their Rav4 burning oil and there's more information about it in that thread. I owned a Corolla with this engine and it burned oil like crazy but not enough to be considered worst case although I did enquire about getting it tested through Toyota. But from what you are saying here you are in the worst case scenario and I would think you will be a prime candidate for reimbursement or some kind of compensation.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
@ IEDesign: There is language in the Enhanced Warranty letter (paragraph 2) that indicates Toyota would cover not only the testing but also 'reimbursement for previous repairs out of pocket expenses.' Some on the Camry forum say they have to battle to provide proof of damage for a seized engine, and that maintenance scheduled (routine oil changes) was documented, especially third party shops. If I was the OP, I would work directly with Toyota Corporate at first, establish eligibility, then call around and find a willing dealer to do the repair. Some dealers claim it required testing first, so if you didn't do that and engine failed, you are not covered. I'll leave it to the 'forum lawyers' to figure out what it means, lol. So many of the negative reports about getting the repair done came because some dealers not willing to do the warranty work. In any case, a lot of paperwork would probably be involved.

Enhanced Warranty Letter for oil burn issue:
Oil burner enhanced warranty.jpg
letter copied from Toyota Nation, Camry gen5 forum, HotRod53 member

Good luck to the OP, hope he finds some Toyota Good Will if he pursues this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts